Chapter 5

Chapter Five

It was almost thirty sleepless hours later when Clary finally woke up.

"Adrian?" She mumbled, sounding confused as she slowly pushed herself up into a sitting position.

"Take it slowly." Adrian spoke softly. "How are you feeling?"

"My head hurts, but I'm ok. Where are we?"

"We're in a place called the New York Institute. It's safe here." He explained as simply as he could. He didn't want to overwhelm her especially with how much she'd been through in the past few days.

Clary just looked confused.

"But why are we here?"

"Do you remember what happened back at the apartment?"

"I came back from the police station and I couldn't find mom. Some weird creature thing attacked me but the blonde boy from the Pandemonium killed it. I passed out after that."

"Well the weird creature thing is a demon. The blonde boy is a shadowhunter. Shadowhunters protect people from demons. We're currently in the Shadowhunters batcave." Adrian attempted to explain what had happened to Clary. It was a lot harder to do than he had originally thought. If only their mom was here to do it.

Clary laughed. "Ok so I was attacked by a demon? Then a demon hunter killed it and brought me here?"

"Pretty much."

"So why are they called Shadowhunters and not demonhunters?" She asked confused.

"Because they don't just hunt demons. They also help to make sure that other creatures obey the rules that are in place to protect humans." He spoke slowly hoping that his sister wouldn't freak out like he had when he'd been told.

"By other creatures you mean..."

"All legends come from somewhere."

"Wait so... Are you trying to say that werewolves and vampires exist?"

Adrian just nodded.

"Oh my god... Ok. Ok. So does that mean that all supernatural creatures exist?" His sister asked. She took a moment to take the information in. Adrian could see her internally freaking out as she did. Strange how she accepted demons much more easily.

"Mostly." Adrian nodded yawning.

"Are you alright? You look exhausted?"

"I'm fine."

"I can tell when you're lying Adrian."

"I'm just a little tired." He shrugged.

"When did you last sleep?"

Clary knew that he had sleeping problems. Sometimes he would be ok. Other times he'd go for weeks with only a few hours of nightmare filled sleep each night.

"I don't know."

"Adrian, stop lying to me." Clary commanded glaring at him. Adrian couldn't help but think that she resembled an angry kitten. Especially with her hair sticking up all over the place. Not that he would tell her that. He'd rather stay alive.

"Around thirty-five hours." He admitted. Clary sighed.

"Go to sleep, I'll be fine."

He considered arguing. Saying that she could easily fall unconscious again. Saying that he felt bad for not being there for her once and she'd ended up unconscious. He decided against it. This was an argument he knew his sister would win.

"Ok. I'll go and find either Jace or Isabelle first. Let them know that you're awake." Adrian nodded standing up out of the chair he'd spent the last thirty hours in. His muscles were stiff but he could still manage to walk out of the infirmary.

Adrian then realised that he had absolutely no idea where he was going. This should be fun.

He decided to head to the right and kept wandering until he eventually found both Jace and Isabelle in a training room on the far side of the institute.

"Adrian!" Isabelle exclaimed catching sight of the shadowhunter. She bounded over to greet him.

"I came to tell you guys that Clary's awake." He told them. Jace nodded in thanks before leaving the room. Adrian resisted the urge to glare at him. He was pretty sure that Jace liked his sister.

"Will you finally get some rest now?" Isabelle asked. She'd been trying to get Adrian to go to sleep or at least leave the chair since the first night. Adrian was convinced that it was her sisterly instinct.

He nodded in reply.

"Finally, come on!" She exclaimed taking Adrian's arm to drag him through the institute. She led him up multiple flights of stairs until they reached a wooden door. Isabelle opened the door dragging him inside. "This is one of the many spare bedrooms so feel free to use it for as long as you're here. Plus it has a really nice window view."

"Thanks Isabelle."

"Call me Izzy." She shrugged. "The rest of my friends do."

"Thanks Izzy."

"You're welcome. Now I'm going to leave you get some rest whilst I go and check on your sister." She announced walking out of the room closing the door behind her. How girls walked in heels that high was beyond Adrian.

Adrian looked around the room surprised to find that his duffle bag was already here. He changed into pyjama pants before collapsing onto the bed. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep.

--------•--------•--------

"Clary we're not going to the City of Bones without your brother. It's dangerous." Adrian heard a voice say from somewhere down the corridor.

"But he's finally asleep." His sisters voice replied to the first speaker.

"Not anymore I'm not." Adrian mumbled forcing himself up and out of bed. He stumbled across the floor grabbing clean clothes that he hurriedly changed into placing his stele and seraph blade inside his jacket whilst adding his dagger to the inside of his sleeve.

There was a knock at the door.

Adrian headed over to the door, pulling it open. "Clary Fray what in the name of Raziel is possessing you to go to the Silent Brothers?"

His sister looked surprised to see him fully dressed and ready to go whilst Jace Wayland stood next to her looking surprised that he had heard what they were talking about.

"Valentine has Dot." Clary told him. Adrian frowned. He never really spoke to Dot but he still liked the warlock. "The City of Bones is the only other chance I have of regaining my memories."

Adrian wanted to tell her that she didn't have to go to the City of Bones. That Magnus Bane had her memories but he couldn't. He'd asked Magnus to put a spell on him to prevent him from telling anyone about it just in case Valentine got a hold of the both of them.

"It looks like we're going to the City of Bones."