Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

Out of all the places he could have chosen to go to, Adrian ended up at school simply because he didn't want to be kicked out for never attending. That was something he'd rather not have to explain to his mom when they got her back.

He walked into his classroom placing the duffel bag underneath his usual desk ignoring the stares of the classmates he'd disrupted.

Isabelle had followed him, her glamour rune making her invisible to his mundane classmates. She stood casually beside Adrian taking everything in. No doubt she'd never been to a mundane school before.

"Adrian Fray, what a pleasure it is to be graced by your presence, two hours late."

"Sorry sir." Adrian spoke tiredly not wanting to argue.

"The headmaster wants to see you." The teacher told him gesturing for him to leave before returning back to the computer in front of him. Turning around Adrian walked back out of the classroom he'd just entered.

Of course the headmaster would want to talk to him. He'd missed the past two and a half days of school with absolutely no explanation after being warned about his attendance on multiple occasions.

"I kind of expected mundane schools to be more interesting." Isabelle commented looking at the lockers at the edges of the corridors.

"Sorry to disappoint." Adrian smiled. "You didn't have to come with me you know."

"I know, but Valentine's looking for both you and your sister. We can't just leave the two of you to wander around."

Adrian nodded before turning to knock on the large wooden door in front of him. There was a moment of awkward silence before a weary voice called for him to enter.

He pushed open the relatively heavy door walking into the familiar office with Isabelle following behind. Her glamour rune making her invisible to the headmaster who sighed upon seeing Adrian.

"Adrian Fray, sit down." The headmaster told him gesturing to the chair in front of the desk he was sat behind. Adrian took the seat casting a brief glance over to Isabelle who was wandering around examining the room and its contents. "I thought that we'd managed to come to an agreement the last time you were here. If there were no more unexplained absences then you'd be able to keep your place here."

"I'm sorry sir I didn't mean for it to happen."

"You never do." He spoke. He sounded worn out. "I don't really know what to do. You're talented Adrian but it's as if you don't care anymore. You hardly seem to attend. When you do you're unfocused, you talk back to teachers and you rarely complete work. What changed?"

"Things are just difficult at home at the moment sir. The shop isn't doing very well so my moms been constantly stressed about having enough money. She hasn't been getting much sleep and is constantly exhausted." Adrian lied.

Things were difficult at home right now although that may be down to his missing mother, maniac of a father and a sister who hated him. School not being his top priority was understandable.

The headmaster sighed looking at him.

"You have one last chance Adrian Fray. This time I mean it. We can't keep you here when we have hundreds of people hoping to gain a place."

Adrian nodded in understanding.

"Go back to class."

The teenager pushed the chair back and headed over to the door. Pulling it open he paused and turned back around giving Isabelle time to leave.

"Thank you sir." He smiled before walking out, closing the door behind him.

The door clicked behind him and Adrian let out a quiet sigh of relief. At least he hadn't been kicked out of school yet. One thing still appeared to be going right.

"I didn't expect you to be the sort of person to skip school." Isabelle Lightwood commented lightly walking alongside Adrian her heels clicking on the tiled floor.

"Sometimes people get bored of the same day to day routine." He shrugged. Isabelle raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow but didn't press the matter further. No doubt she didn't believe him.

"So what do you people do here?"

"We're taught how to develop our skills and create our own style."

"That sounds a bit boring, doesn't it?" Isabelle asked.

"It could be a lot worse. At least I don't have to do maths anymore." Adrian commented pulling a face at the atrocious word. Isabelle laughed.

Veering to the right Adrian walked into his silent classroom. Ignoring the stares and little whispers that accompanied his entrance he sat down in his seat. Isabelle sat down on the already pulled out seat across from him.

A small part of Adrian wondered how his peers would react to a chair moving on its own. He smiled slightly at the thought.

Reaching down he pulled out his sketchbook that was in the duffel bag he'd left by the chair. Placing it on the desk, Adrian opened the book straight onto the second page not allowing the first page to be seen.

He reached back down to grab a pencil and lightly tapped the non-pencil end against the book as he considered what to draw. Adrian didn't really want to finish the first drawing with Isabelle sat opposite him probably watching his every move.

"Draw me!" Izzy exclaimed noticing his hesitation. He lifted his gaze to her looking at the female Lightwoods hopeful face before nodding his head slightly.

Although the people in the classroom couldn't hear Izzy they would definitely hear him talking to her. Or in their eyes: himself.

Placing the pencil to the paper he began to draw the first outline of the image he had in mind.

--------•--------•--------

"I look hot." Isabelle stated peering over his shoulder to get a better look at the finished sketch. Considering he'd rushed the drawing to try and get something completed in his sketchbook, it had turned out pretty good,

The drawing showed Izzy in the basement of the Hotel duMort. Her whip coiled around the leg of a vampire as she is about to pull it towards her. The drawing showed her determination with a hint of amusement captured in her eyes. In the background there were slightly fainter lines to show the pipes and walls to add more depth to the image without overshadowing Isabelle as the main focus.

"It's amazing."

"Thank you." Adrian smiled awkwardly. He contemplated telling her that it wasn't his best and could probably have been done much better if he had took his time but decided against it. He didn't want to sound like he was attention seeking.

"Are you coming back to the Institute?" Izzy asked. Adrian shook his head as he packed away his stuff.

"I can't. Not yet." He muttered under his breath. Most people weren't paying attention but he still didn't want to take any chances. "You should go back to the Institute, no doubt you're brother and Jace are worried."

"Where are you going?"

"I have friends. Probably the next safest place to the Institute and Idris."