Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

"I still think this is a bad idea." Alec Lightwood commented as he followed Adrian down the busy street.

"All of my ideas are probably bad ideas."

"I'm beginning to see that."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence." Adrian joked as a bus pulled up to the side of the street. The doors slid open letting out warm air into the chilly morning.

He climbed up into the bus paying the driver the fare for both Alec and himself. The driver checked the money before waving the two of them through.

They received a few strange looks as they walked towards some empty seats towards the back of the bus. It wasn't really surprising. People are bound to stare at teenagers dressed in black; especially when they're covered in what looks like tattoos.

"The mundanes are staring." Alec muttered as they sat down.

"They're just overwhelmed by how amazingly awesome we are." Adrian joked. Alec's lips tugged upwards in amusement.

"I don't think anyone who claims to be amazingly awesome is actually 'amazingly awesome'." Alec retorted. Adrian couldn't help but laugh.

"People generally stare at anyone entering the bus. It's a little unnerving."

"Just a little?"

"I usually walk but I didn't think it would be a good idea after having been passed out for eight hours." He explained looking out of the window at the scenery passing by.

"Going to school after being passed out for eight hours isn't a good idea."

"I know, but if I skip school again then I'm going to be kicked out and I really don't want to have to explain that to my mom once we get her back from Valentine." Adrian hesitated, the unspoken 'if we get her back' lingering in the air.

The bus pulled to a stop a few streets away from Brooklyn Academy of Art causing Adrian to stand up. Alec stood up and followed him out of the bus, the doors clicking closed behind them.

The two Shadowhunters stepped to the side of the street so they were out of the way of anyone who walked past. Alec pulled up his jacket sleeve and traced over the faded glamour rune that lay there. The mark briefly glowed before fading into a solid black.

Since Alec was now invisible to the mundanes surrounding them, Adrian ended up receiving a few concerned looks from people walking past. To them it looked like he was talking to thin air. Although, it probably wasn't the first time people had thought him to be crazy.

"Welcome to Brooklyn Academy of Art." Adrian announced to the other boy as the two walked up the steps that lead to the large building. "Supposedly home to some of the best artists in America as well as a bunch of rich kids whose parents bribed them in with copious amounts of money after discovering that they can draw a stick man."

"Seems like you have a very high opinion of these people."

"We don't really get along." He shrugged leading the way down the corridors to his first classroom. "Unsurprising really. Shadowhunters and Mundanes aren't usually the best of friends."

The two Shadowhunters walked around a corner and into an open doored classroom. Adrian was grateful for that. It meant he didn't have to awkwardly hover at the door to let Alec in.

"Adrian Fairchild?" He heard the teacher call in a tone he'd heard enough times to know that it was for registration.

"Here sir." Adrian replied taking a seat at an empty table discretely knocking the chair next to his out from underneath the table, allowing Alec to sit down.