Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

The Lightwoods immediately reacted slamming the door shut bracing themselves against it.

"Well, not that smooth." Izzy added as vampires began to bang at the door trying to get through to kill them.

"Any day now." Isabelle spoke surprisingly calmly as Alec fumbled around in his pocket. Adrian sighed stepping forwards.

"Move." He told Alec. Both of the Lightwoods blinked at him in surprise. "Yes, hi, I'm Adrian Fairchild the other shadowhunter who came with you to distract the vampires. Now move please."

This time they snapped into action. Isabelle braced herself even more against the door as Alec rolled his body out of the way. Adrian stepped forward immediately moving into the pace where Alec had been pushing himself against the door.

No longer having to hold the vampires back, Alec easily managed to find his stele. He stepped over to the door until he was right in front of Adrian.

The older Lightwood began to draw on the door with his stele as Adrian forced himself to look ahead and not at the other shadowhunter. He could feel the body heat radiating off the shadowhunter. He could feel Alec's every breath against his neck sending shivers down his spine.

Adrian mentally scalded himself. This was getting ridiculous. He literally known him for six days and for three of them he hadn't even known the guys name. He shouldn't be affected by Alec's proximity, especially since he was another shadowhunter.

"It's not taking it." Alec spoke.

He felt movement beside him as Izzy stepped away from the door taking out a seraph blade. Adrian braced himself pushing back on the door even more feeling each thump of the vampires as they tried to burst through.

"Whoever said, 'the pen is mightier than the sword' was an idiot."

The female shadowhunter returned a few seconds later holding a section of piping. Alec stepped out of the way allowing his sister to thread the pipe through the door handle and behind another pipe ensuring that the door would remain closed. For a little while at least.

Adrian released a breath he didn't know he'd been holding as he stepped away from the door back into his own personal space.

"When you're right, you're right."

"Do you think they know where we are?" Isabelle grinned.

"That's the idea, right?"

"How long do you think we have to distract them for?" Adrian asked the two Lightwoods.

"Ten more minutes."

"Ten minutes? Are you kidding?" Alec asked taking an arrow from his quiver sliding it into his bow. "We're liquid lunch in five."

"So, let's distract them." Adrian told the two widening his stance slightly as he raised his seraph blade slightly.

"So, let's distract them." Alec and Izzy nodded scarily in sync.

Alec raised his bow, drawing back the string as a vampire managed to get his hand through the door grasping hold of the pipe that kept the door shut. Isabelle's whip snaked down her arm and into her hand.

The vampire managed to tear the pipe away shoving the door open.

Isabelle struck her whip out clasping it around the ankle of the first vampire to enter the room. She flicked her wrist back sending the vampire toppling to the ground drawing him towards her.

The second vampire went to rush forwards but it didn't get very far. Alec released an arrow that hit the vampire square in the chest. It dissolved into bright orange dust and red particles. Isabelle stabbed down with her seraph blade into the vampire below her that erupted in the same way Alec's had.

Alec shot another arrow that hit a vampire almost as soon as it came around the corner. Adrian could hear the hissing and squeals of vampires as they got closer.

"This is fun."

"Keep coming boys." Isabelle called taunting them out. It worked.

More vampires came round the corner. Alec shot one, Isabelle took down another with her whip as Adrian swiftly took down the third with his seraph blade.

As more vampires rounded the corner Adrian began to wonder just how many there were in the Hotel duMort.

He swung his blade in the direction of another vampire who managed to move out of the way just in time but he continued the swing driving it through another vampire. A hiss behind him caught his attention. Adrian struck out with the blade as he turned driving it straight into the stomach of the vampire.

This time it was a whistle of an arrow that caused him to turn around in time to see a vampire right behind him to dissolve.

"Thanks." He shouted to Alec watching the entrance to the room for any more vampires. There were none. Things had fell silent.

"Thought I'd return the favour."

"We should go and find Jace and Clary." Isabelle announced walking in the direction of the door the vampires had come through. Adrian followed her keeping his seraph blade out and ready to use. Just because there weren't any more vampires heading towards them didn't mean that there weren't more around.

Thankfully, he was wrong. There were no more vampires wandering around and the three of them managed to reach a room full of shouts without much trouble.

Alec was the first to react once we entered the room shooting a hole in the wall of the Hotel duMort. Light from the outside world streamed through. The elder Lightwoods home improvement distracted the vampires giving Clary chance to break out of ones grasp and shove it back into the light.

She ran over to her fallen seraph blade, picking it up and started to fight one of the other vampires that had been attacking Jace. Clary stabbed the vampire through the stomach staring in shock for a moment as Jace slashed through the throat of another.

"I killed him." Clary breathed. Adrian stepped forwards to hug his shocked sister.

"He was already dead." Adrian told her reassuringly.

"Plus he wanted to kill you. Remember that." Isabelle smiled. "She did great right?"

"Yeah, you did... You should be proud." Jace spoke softly to her. Adrian still didn't like his crush on his sister but he no longer glared at the boy. He considered it an improvement.

Clary released Adrian from the hug stepping back.

"Thanks but it's not about me. Let's go find Simon."