Big Decisions

**Mason's POV**

I never realized how beautiful Zoe was until I fell in love with her.  I've always tried to avoid thinking of her in that way.  After all, I was like her parent.  But she's probably the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, even among vampires, who used to be angels.  She was perfection to me, and I couldn't get over her.  Her smile made me want to live again, to live like a human, just so I could grow old with her.  When we were done making love, she fell asleep on my chest, and I could feel her heart beating on my stomach.  It's a shame she had to leave, it was perfection, just lying there with her innocently.  

After she left, I lazed around, but finally I got up and put on the jeans she threw at me.  I stretched and walked into the kitchen.  I could feel Timaeus and Herleva watching me.  I grabbed a banana and walked into the living room.   

I looked at both of them, "Is there something you two want to talk to me about?"

Timaeus cleared his throat, "Yes Sir.  We would like to talk to you about something.  It is important." 

"What is it?"

Timaeus cleared his throat again, he was clearly uncomfortable.  "Well sir, we have noticed that you've... Chosen a mate in Zoe.  And we were wondering if you were planning on Changing her?"

I looked at him.  "Timaeus, this is a big decision.  But... Our desitiny is already mapped out.  I think we both know what' s going to  happen."

Timaes shrugged, "I think you two can change everything if you so choose."

Suddenly, we heard Zoe's screams coming up the stairs.  I grabbed a shirt and sprinted out the door.  

"What is it?" 

Zoe had a terrified look on her face.  "Zach! Eustachius! Fighting! Downstairs!"

We sprinted down the stairs as quickly as we could, which is pretty quick for vampires.  When we got down there, Eustachius and Zach were face to face, and too close for comfort.  Herleva ran to the windows and pulled down the shades so no passersby could see inside, and locked the door quietly.  Timaeus and I pulled Eustachius off of Zach.

"What are you doing here, Zach?" I asked suspiciously.

Zach was answering me, but giving Eustachius the death glare. "I had something important to tell Zoe."

"Oh really? What was it?"

Zach looked at me seriously,"I sensed someone in the forest, someone who shouldn't have been there."

"Eustachius, take Zoe upstairs," I commanded.  He nodded, and when she protested, scooped her up and took her upstairs.  

 I looked back at Zach.  "Now tell me again about this 'presence' in the forest."

"Well I've been spending a lot of time in the forest lately and I was walking around, and I saw this woman.  She was tall, had long black hair, and a white dress.  She was sitting in a clearing and she seemed to be praying.  I sat and watched her, and tried to get some sense of what she was doing there, but she had an odd smell about her, worse than you bloodsuckers.  She smelled like... She smelled like a demon." 

"A demon?!" I exclaimed.

Zach nodded grimly.  

Timaeus began pacing. "This is not good, Sir.  Do you think she is after...?" he trailed off, but I knew what he was talking about.

"Yes.  What shall be done about this?  Is it time?"

Timaeus continued pacing, and he ran his hand through his hair.  "I do not know yet.  This is a very serious decision we are going to make, one that could change everything.  The question is, is the timing right?"

"Zoe's nightmares have been getting more and more frequent, and from a close range.  The she-demon is practically sitting right in front of her."  

Zach looked between Timaeus and me, "What's going on?  What's the decision we have to make?"

Herleva spoke up, "Is the werewolf a factor?" 

Timaeus stopped pacing and looked at Zach, "The werewolf, he should not be around her at this time, this is a vital transition and having him here will only make things difficult."

 "Timaeus," I protested, "I think he should stay, he could be a valuable asset to our team."

"A werewolf will be no match for a group of small demons, let alone one of the most powerful one on earth!"

"Hello! Standing right here!" Zach chimed in. 

"He could protect Zoe if something happens, and the forest is his domain." 

"A werewolf is hot-tempered and unpredicable until it is fully mature, we should not leave Zoe in the hands of a beast!  And his Pack? What about them?"

I turned to Zach, "What about your Pack?"  I hadn't even thought of this, having been used to seeing Zach as a solitary person, I never figured he had a family, or friends.  How he got Zoe was beyond me.  Zoe always did have a thing for sad puppy dogs...

Zach looked at both of us and then looked away quickly.  "My Pack will be fine.  They do what they want, I'll do what I want."

Timaeus sighed, "It is not that simple, if you get hurt, your Pack will be after us.  That will start a vampire-werewolf brawl, which will become a war, and before you know it, humans become involved.  It will be big, it will be messy.  I am only doing this for your own good.  I am sorry, but you must leave this alone.  After it is over, well... Things will be different."

"But-"

"I am sorry, Zachary.  But for now, you cannot see Zoe.  Also, I would advise your Pack to leave town as soon as possible.  Things will not be safe for any supernatural beings in the area.  Not witches, not ghosts, not werewolves, and least of all vampires."

Zach's eyes teared up, but he quickly blinked them away.  When he spoke, his voice was hoarse, "But I... I love her."

Timaeus winced, "I am sorry Zachary, but this is how it must be.  For your safety and the safety of everyone involved, please leave."

Zach cleared his throat, "Fine.  I'll leave.  Goodbye Mason," he waved at me.   "Give Zoe my wishes.  Tell her... Tell her I'll miss her."  

And with that, Zach stormed out the door, and I swear he ran.  As soon as he hit the forest, he got on all fours and just ran.  Ran until he was out of breath, ran until his throat hurt and he thought he couldn't take in another breath.  Ran until his paws were hurting from hitting the ground.  Ran until he could feel nothing but pain, and when he couldn't run anymore, he walked.  He paced in circles.  Finally, he couldn't take it any longer, his pain was too unbearable, and he howled up at the moon.  It was his basic instinct, to howl.  The sound that came out held all of his pain, all of his anguish.  Maybe it was dramatic, but it was what he felt.  Zoe was his first love.  He lost her.  Finally, he lay down and slept.  He didn't remember his dream the next morning, but he awoke with a smile on his face.