Chapter - 4

Maithili and Sheetal stood among the bunch of people clapping together. The dimmed lights made the surrounding more shimmery and the small celebration of cutting the cake was completed together with the family members.

When Nikshit had walked in minutes ago, there was a heated swooning ongoing among some of her colleagues. He was quite the looker, she'd give him that but not enough to get such an attention either! Maithili's nose scrunched up in disgust on hearing some cheesy comments about Nikshit and more so about Vidhart who was clearly standing with his wife on the stage but still wasn't spared by the single ladies.

“Good evening everyone. It's great to have you all here today.” The final formality was being carried out by the more outspoken brother as expected. Nikshit grinned as he looked at everyone and spoke.

“It’s just a small celebration for the milestone of reaching fifty years of Dahiya Groups and we're thankful to each and everyone of you who has been a part of this family over these years. I hope everyone enjoys the party and the dance event that has been arranged.”

The colorful lights beamed around on the dance floor as people started gracing the stage in couples, later being followed by people without partners with their friends or family members.

It was no ball dance. There were many odd pairs of couples shaking their bums as they liked. There were no rules, nobody cared if they looked funny. All that mattered was the enjoyment. Vidhart was seen standing by the side stiffly, looking at Kaushiki who was being twirled around by Nikshit on the dance floor.

Viren and Neelam danced for not too long before they left the crowd to enjoy from afar.

Maithili had pulled her mother as well, laughing as they staggered and balanced themselves on the beats. They swayed along with the others until eventually Kaushiki, Vidhart and Nikshit were standing in a stalemate. Vidhart did not look pleased as he tried to pull Kaushiki, who was laughing, to himself while Nikshit had a shit eating grin on his face.

Damn! He's the jealous type. Maithili couldn't stop herself from looking either. Kaushiki ended up making eye contact with her and pulled herself away from both the guys to make her way towards her, followed by both the men behind her like ducklings walking behind the mother duck. The heck?

“Aunty, I'll join you guys.” No, don't! Maithili noticed the frown deepening on Vidhart’s face but he kept his mouth shut. Nikshit on the other hand rolled his eyes at his elder brother’s antics. “Bhabhi, go with bhai. I want to dance with aunty instead.” With that, Sheetal was approached by Nikshit with his hands out for her permission. Mother chor!

Sheetal thought thankfully did not betray her daughter and denied politely. “No, beta. I'm tired already. You youngsters should go ahead without me. I had enough fun.” She gave a push to Maithili instead towards Nikshit and got off the stage eventually. Her mother betrayed her even before a minute had passed!

Vidhart pulled away Kaushiki and they got away pretty quickly. He was definitely getting away from Nikshit. Maithili looked at the hand offered to her and held it without giving it much thought. It's just a dance anyway.

It was awkward as hell.

They danced stiffly for a while. The songs went from romantic to funny and back to 90s hits in a shuffling remix.

“Comfortable?” Nikshit's one hand was holding her hand while the other hand was circling around her waist in the air. Quite gentlemanly.

Maithili's awkwardly fisted hand on his shoulder relaxed and she gave a nod. It's not like they have to dance! She could have just said no and gotten away from him! She mentally slapped herself and decided to endure her own stupidity until it lasted.