Chapter - 22

It was like a festival the next day. Maithili's family members had arrived early in the morning to help out as much as possible. The ladies were dolled up in Banarasi silk sarees and the men of the house wore dhoti-kurtas. Vidhart and Kaushiki had left last night after dinner to bring the twins back home and came back a few hours before the auspicious time for rituals were to take place.

“Is Vrushali ready, Maithili? Can you please check?” Neelam said while stirring the big pot of kheer. They were either making kheer or frying puris for the bhog that was going to be offered in the puja later. Maithili nodded and wiped her hands before pulling out the loose end of her saree that was tucked on the waist and making her way out to look for Vrushali, only to watch her pass by the threshold of the house followed by Kusha.

Vrushali, who had already arrived last evening looking like a zombie, looked as happy as a clam, walking around all over the house with Kusha by her side. Kusha was Kaushiki’s eldest brother’s daughter. She apparently really loved spending time with Vrushali ever since she was a child. The rest of the children were either with Kartik, sitting in the hall for hawan that was to begin or running around in the garden, getting chased by either Vidyut or his mother, Ekta Chandel. The grandmother was apparently who they feared a lot, but on the special occasion of being in a part of the crowd, they had broken the character of being obedient. Nobody was going to scold them in front of the guests after all, or so they thought.

Sheetal was astonished to see how well Maithili had blended in with such a giant family. She was really proud and relieved to see Maithili happy. She had been worrying too much when she'd heard Kaushiki's family members were coming and there were going to be many guests for the auspicious day instead of just the family members. Atharv had joined Nikshit in handling things along with Vidyut. There were now more than enough helping hands for everything. 

The namkaran ceremony began with havan, prayers were offered for the good health, a long life and happiness of the twins, followed by the Vedic horoscope reading and the names were whispered in the ears of the babies by Vrushali.

“Vedanshi and Kaashvi.”

“Beautiful names!” The priest praised Vrushali. The identical twins were wearing identical clothes and started crying identically together when a tilak was done by the priest on their foreheads. Vidhart and Kaushiki were holding each of the babies, rocking them in their arms. Kaushiki elbowed Vidhart and gestured with her eyes to stop getting emotional again. Vidhart, as expected, had cried again when finally they were allowed to take the babies back home. The discharge process hadn't taken much time thankfully. The rest of the day was spent looking after the guests until sunset. 

“I’m dead tired.” Maithili announced as soon as she'd entered the room. Nikshit raised his head from the pillow and slammed it back again. He was lying on the bed in a black vest and trousers. Maithili shivered when she came back from using the bathroom, the room was ice cold. Nikshit watched her comb her hair and make a loose braid that fell down her hips. Maithili applied a moisturizer on her face and finally made her way towards the hands that were raised in invitation, gesturing for her to jump in.

“Headache?” Nikshit murmured against her head. Maithili was lying on top of him, caged in his arms, finally able to breathe in relief after a long day. She shook her head. “Body pain.”

She was just relieved with the fact that she could sleep off the tiredness now because the next day was going to be busy again. From waking up early and getting prepared for a hot and humidity filled day of traveling. Kaushiki’s family would be leaving the day after so before that, it was a given that they wanted to visit some places which included only a few places on their list.