Chapter - 19

“I’m still shaking.” Maithili whispered, controlling her nasally voice from giving out that she'd just cried. She was on a call with Vrushali. Luckily she'd picked up after a few rings. Maithili had called her after hearing the babies crying from outside the delivery room. The nurse had immediately come out to inform them that it's two baby girls. Also that the father of the babies isn't looking very good right now. Vidhart had come out crying like a baby.

“I can't wait to come back home. I'm so excited, bhabhi!” Vrushali was so happy to hear the news, she couldn't stop herself from gushing about it to her roommates. She'd been quite tired after attending the lectures and making rounds to and fro from the Library to the labs. The phone call from Maithili came when she'd eaten dinner and was ready to do a last revision for the day before calling it a night. She really wanted to go home soon.

“Congratulations. Both the babies are healthy. They'll be under observation for some time for now. You can see them through the window outside the NICU in a while. The nurse will guide you.” The doctor had come out to congratulate the family members before leaving with the pediatrics intern who was still standing behind her on her toes.

Maithili sat back beside Sheetal, leaning onto her shoulder, feeling the tiredness creeping up intensely. Sheetal patted the hand that was wrapped around her waist loosely. “Sleepy and hungry? We’ll eat something on the way back home, okay?”

“Ma, Vidhart Bhai is still crying. I think I mi—might..” Maithili couldn't really complete her sentence when her eyes landed again on Vidhart who was red in the face, sitting right in front of them, his eyes still moist and hiccuping once in a while. Maithili's thoughts were all down the drain in that instant, she'd started crying.

Mo-Mo twins were delivered by cesarean section at the end. Kaushiki was under care for a few days but the baby girls were going to be in the NICU for about four weeks. The regular visiting hours were fixed for the other family members but Vidhart and Kaushiki could spend as much time as they wanted with the twins.

Vidhart had decided to stay at the hospital until Kaushiki was to be kept under observation. The rest of the family members had taken their leave after meeting Kaushiki once she was completely conscious before going to see the babies. They had to stand and watch from outside a glass window. The twins and several other babies could be seen, all of them were kept inside incubators, looking like little dolls wrapped in fluffy baby-pink towels.

It was a very stressful and tiring day. Atharv had driven back home later afterwards once the family had decided to leave. He was left quite shaken when Vidhart had held him in a hug and thanked him for being there at the right time. He and Vidhart were rarely able to even converse when sitting together, it was a very new experience to be hugged by someone taller and broader than himself. Talking about stature, it was very challenging for him to carry Kaushiki for those mere few meters, he was glad he was able to do the job carefully.

Perhaps it was the demand of the situation that'd given him immense strength back then but he could bet on his life, carrying someone as tall as him, on top of it when she was pregnant, was out of the question. He'd never want to be put in a situation like that again. He was scared out of his wits when he thought about how he might have tumbled and dropped Kaushiki if it weren't for the hysterical situation.

Maithili took a nap after they'd reached home the next morning. Even after being in labour for five hours, the dilation hadn't reached 6 centimeters. They ended up staying until six in the morning. The day was off luckily so Maithili could really sleep in without much worry. Sweta had come later once Neelam had informed her of their arrival, only to find everyone still sleeping at home.