Chapter - 7

It was too awkward to walk together so Maithili decided to lead by two steps and Nikshit followed after her. Now all the hesitation and awkwardness was suddenly dominating the air. The open garden of mango and guava trees did not help at all.

They sat in the shed on the heavy and cold iron chairs. It was great for the hot months. The shed and chair weren't helping either. They avoided any kind of eye contact. How were they going to start talking?

Maithili decided to take the lead again and pretended to clear her throat. It was supposed to help strike on a conversation but it actually reminded Nikshit of the incident that had happened in her bedroom instead.

“We should call off the marriage.”

Huh?

Nikshit looked at her confident stare. It's not that he was willingly here but the retaliation he felt on hearing her was very unexpected. He wants to call it off as well. Nikshit thought, if she doesn't want to marry him it's not like anyone can force her into doing it either.

He was going to be proved wrong pretty soon.

“Sure.”

Hearing that made Maithili happy. She has no personal problem with him so that's not the reason she doesn't want to marry him. It's just his existence that's annoying. His haughty attitude of ‘I, me and my’ she has seen all these years is just absolutely despicable even though he has earned it.

Well, none of those things matter anymore. The problem is solved already. It'll be an easy way out. Maithili didn't realize she was smiling.

“Sure, you can go ahead and call it off.”

Huh? Is he going back on his words? Not at all. He just had more to say and she became impatient.

“What do you mean by that? Obviously we sh—”

“Maithili! Nikshit!”

Saying that they were given alone time together would have been a lie because it hadn't even been half an hour and they were called back in.

"It's quite late now, I think we should take a leave or we'll be late.”

As soon as they walked back in, they heard the commotion going on. Maithili looked around in confusion. Weren't the guests supposed to stay for dinner?

"Yes, it's about time or we'll be late.” Atharv chirped in.

"Where are we going?" Maithili asked, confused, whereas Nikshit just rolled his eyes. It was so obvious. Their parents are the real secretive players, no doubt. God knows how many more surprises were already planned for them.

“To the Zoo. We will be back on time for the dinner." Sheetal informed Maithili with an eye look that screamed ‘don’t make a scene’ and smiled while talking to Kaushiki about something. She had no idea even Nikshit didn't know about the arrangements.

The drive to the zoo didn't take long and they had their entry tickets booked in advance as well. All that was left was to walk in and spend time together.

"They are so smart, aren't they?" Nikshit muttered while walking by her side, following behind their family members, who left the two together to have some alone time again. Only if their parents could understand that this ‘quality time’ wasn't being exactly spent like they were expecting.

"They are, indeed. They told us about nothing before fixing everything beforehand. This is so unfair.”

Maithili made a face while throwing a biscuit towards a monkey nearby inside the cage they were standing in front of. The zoo had allowed the monkeys biscuits and some seeds to the birds. Of course the food items were provided by the zoo.