Chapter - 10

Luckily nobody noticed that the two were gone for almost an hour.

Vrushali had come back with only a small plate of momos and told them to go back down as soon as possible because guests were about to gather inside and finding the two of them coming out of a room together— wasn't going to fare well for sure.

They sat awkwardly by the side on the assembled chairs, totally not giving away the fact that they'd just come back from eating their fill.

Apparently everyone just wanted to dance.

“I might just barf if they make me dance. I'm too full.” Maithili muttered as they whispered and talked to each other. Nikshit wasn't any different. He was lucky to have elastic on the waistband of his pants instead of a thread or button.

He was wearing a cream colored traditional kurta with a maroon zari work on it and a simple pajama of the same material and color. The relaxed long sleeves made it more convenient to move around. On the other hand, Maithili wore a mildly heavy backless maroon sharara with work of white pearls on it, it was comfortable but not so comfortable at the same time.

“I knew we wouldn't be able to escape.” Nikshit muttered under his breath and faked a smile towards the trio of his buas coming their way.

Maithili cautiously looked at them from her peripheral vision and avoided any eye contact, just in case until they were standing right before them.

Here we go!

Talking to them wasn't that hard thanks to Nikshit but being forced into the middle of the crowd to dance was. There was a dance floor arranged in the hall, she hadn't noticed it when she'd come inside. Probably because Vrushali had taken her upstairs through another way.

“This is so embarrassing.” Maithili muttered as they stood awkwardly together. Being gawked at by so many people and being the center of attention was too much to handle.

“Don’t look around. Look at me. It'll be fine.” Nikshit whispered holding her hands and took a step closer to hold her.

“Mister Savior, you’re not worth looking at either.” Even though her mouth was being sarcastic, she couldn't help shuddering either. Her head was trembling inside. His hand was laying flat on her almost bare back!

“Then suffer in silence.” Nikshit rolled his eyes and held onto her waist firmly with his other hand as they started swaying. They weren't dancing alone for long, thankfully. Many people joined them soon enough. Nikshit went from twirling Maithili on her feet to throwing his hands and legs randomly on the DJ beats once there was a sudden uproar on hearing ‘Badri ki dulhaniya’. It just happened, everyone had forgotten the decorum and went ahead with the madness.

Nikshit caught the sight of their parents dancing right in front of them. Viren has always been pretty cool but his reserved mother looked very happy and so did the widely smiling elder brother of his while dancing with Kaushiki. His siblings, Atharv, Kaushiki and made their own small circle with Nikshit and Maithili as they danced together.

Nikshit couldn't stop smiling. It's been a long time since he has seen his family members enjoying something so happily. The last few years were very difficult to pass through, even though it was limited between the walls of their home and nobody outside knew anything about it. It was like a fresh start of a new life.

The three buas were like three old grumpy cats of the house. It was really funny to watch them trying hard to avoid looking like they were having fun while doing their own hand shaking moves and some thumkas once in a while.

The dance floor was still alive with the couples busy in their own worlds after more than an hour of sweating. The lights were dimmed even more than before, thus saving them from getting caught as Nikshit and Maithili came off the stage. They cautiously stood side by side in a corner, maintaining straight faces, clearly they couldn't stop themselves from catching their breaths. That was the proof of their tiredness and how much fun they just had.