Chapter 2

(Continuation of Parvati's pov)

The man said something in another language. I assumed it to be Tamil since I was in Chennai. I felt a relief realizing he was not one of his men.But I couldn't relax, I was confused about who could he be. I gathered all my courage and opened the door.

An old, dark man with whitish hair stood. He had few bags in his hand. He studied me for a while and then looked away. He mumbled something in Tamil quickly and then handed me the bags. He looked embarrassed as well as irritated. I could not understand why. I took the bags and then he left.

I carried the bags to the room and placed them on the bed. I pulled out the packets and learned they were all clothes. I remembered Dhanush mentioning about sending his driver to get clothes for me. So I thought maybe that man was his driver. I chortled to myself as I remembered how scared I was.

But still, the tension about them finding me hadn't vanished. I knew the bald gangster would be searching for me since I was sold in lakhs and not simply in thousands or hundreds. The reason for my higher cost was first, my virginity and second, my fair complexion with natural brown eyes and hair. I had the typical UP girl look, but according to the men working in the Randi khana, where I was trained, I looked like an actress.

But I doubted it. I wasn't that pretty, but yes I did look different because of my brown eyes and hair which I had inherited from my mother though I didn't remember my mother much. She died while giving birth to me which caused my father to hate me forever.

I shoved off all those bad memories and thoughts and pulled out the clothes. There were inner garments as well along with the others. I smiled at those since I had not worn new clothes for ages. I walked near the mirror holding the kurti in my hand to see how it would have looked on me. 

When I saw the reflection I realized why the old man was irritated and embarrassed. I was in Dhanush's shirt which showed most of my legs and I didn't close two of the buttons on the top which showed a lot of my skin on my chest.

But it didn't show parts of my body which mustn't be showed.

"Maybe he is not used to seeing women in so short clothing or showing a bit more skin," I thought to myself. I instructed myself that I had to apologize to him for causing him inconvenience. However, for then, I wanted to wear the new clothes. I grinned again as I took off the shirt quickly.

After trying on all the clothes one after another, I decided on wearing a purple salwar suit. I looked in the mirror and smiled at myself. I was looking pretty after so many days, but then my eyes fell on my wounded hands. It wasn't wounded much, just cuts here and there due to my fall last night. I studied my wounded arm carefully and then I noticed the cigarette burns on my hand. I massaged my arm lightly remembering that day when I was punished for feeding my roti to one of the girls there who was starving.

A tear droplet escaped from my eye as I remembered the face of the punisher and the pain. I had had nightmares about that particular day many times but as time passed it also turned into one of the bad memories. But I had considered it the second worst memory of my life.

I looked up at my reflection in the mirror again, my thoughts shifted towards the handsome man who was helping me. I blushed remembering him calling me beautiful.

"Oh shit!" I muttered in a whisper to myself. I realized he had seen the cigarette burns on my arms. "What if he asks me now?" I asked myself as I tensed. "I will just tell him, I don't wish to speak," I  decided.

I folded all the clothes and placed them like they were in the packets again and left those packets on the table. I picked up a small card by the side of the telephone and studied the menu. I quickly ordered few food items so that I could eat more and get back my strength.I needed the strength so I could leave from there. Although, I didn't wish to but I couldn't live there. I didn't wish to disturb the kind man, my new friend, because of me.