Chapter Two

(NEW SCENE)

The next morning was chaos! Fiona, in the kitchen, running around like a headless chicken, ended up burning the toast. Still, she didn't waste the hot bread — but scraped away the coal parts into the bin.

'Here's your toast.'

'You don't expect me to eat that, do you?'

'Well, go without, then.'

Harmony looked up from her phone .'I can't go to college without any breakfast. What if I faint?'

'Don't be a drama queen!'

'I'm not being a drama queen.'

'Then eat your damn toast and stop moaning. You think I got money to waste?'

Dashing out into the hallway, Fiona tried to see past the staircase into the girl's bedroom. That wasn't happening. She had to put on her shouting voice.

'Katrina, what on earth are you doing?'

Katrina shouted back down, but Fiona wasn't a pro when it came to muffle language.

'What?'

'My IGO pass.' Something, something, something.

'I can't understand what you're saying; you're not making any sense.'

Katrina came out into the hallway. She was wearing her school uniform.

'I said I can't find my IGO pass, and the bus driver won't let me on if I don't have it.'

'Where was it last?'

'In my bag.'

'And it's not there now.'

'No.'

'Are you sure?'

'Come upstairs and see.'

Fiona did because Katrina wasn't pulling a fast one, trying to get a day off from school. So Fiona went upstairs to the bedroom.

'What the hell?' She thought, looking around the bedroom. At the drawers half opened, the clothes peeping out from the dovetails, with some thrown onto the floor.

'Did a bomb go off in here?'

Katrina said nothing to that remark. Her mind was too busy looking for her IGO pass because she knew the last place she had seen it was inside her school bag. And now it was gone.

'You don't think he took it?'

'Who?'

'Who do you think?'

Fiona caught the hint — but shook her head at the terrible thought the old man was worming his way back into their lives. But things were starting to disappear again. And the bad dreams. No, she had to stop. Get fucking real. The old man was gone. Dead.

'I told you last night; the old man is gone.'

'But what if he isn't?' Katrina argued.

'He is, now your bus pass. Where did you have it last?'

'In my school bag, I always put it in there before I go to bed.'

'And you've done that, looked inside your bag?'

Running her fingers through her hair, getting all stressed out, Katrina shouted. 'Yes!'

'Okay, don't raise your voice; it's not grown a pair of legs and walked off.'

'Hasn't it?'

'No.'

'Then where is it?'

'I don't know; you might have dropped it and not realised.'