FROM THE JOURNAL Of CHRIS SIMMONS #1

I never intended to write a sequel to The Richmond Haunting. As far as I was concerned, the haunting was a closed case. The family had defeated the old man, had gotten their children back, and were now in a new home. So all — in all, the communique for the haunting was this. It was over.

So, I began work on another project; a story called Poynton's Crow.

During the writing of the story, Chris left me a message. The haunting was starting again. And would I be interested in writing a sequel?

Personally, as a writer, I'm against sequels. The author is just going over old grounds, but the day after the message from Chris, he wanted to meet up with me, which we did. For two and half hours, he told me what the family was going through — some of it — so incredible. The reader would regard the book as a fictional piece, so that's how I wrote it.

Prior to writing this book, I wanted to know how Fiona and her family would feel about me penning their story again. After all, there were a lot of deleted scenes that never made it in the first book.

I wanted to mention these missing parts in the sequel. Would that be okay?

The family was more than happy, agreeing to everything, including personal stuff.

That goes for Chris as well. The reader will see scattered throughout this book; journal extracts, not to mention snippets from a book that Chris tried writing — but gave up.

Writing is hard work. It's not a matter of putting words together. The words have to sound right. And no author is without struggle. Chris knew he wasn't a writer, but dare I say, a powerful shoulder to lean on.

He was, after all, the first person willing to help Fiona and her family when nobody else would.

'He was our miracle.' Says Fiona.

And I agree.

The very notion of writing a book based on The Richmond Haunting has given me many sleepless nights. I'm excellent at making speeches. Quite the orator, yet putting words to paper is something else entirely.

Because to write a book — publish it on Amazon — makes me nervous. What if nobody likes what I've written? And it's always the readers who have the final say.

Or worse, nobody reads it, and without the reader, the writer gets lonely.

But damn, for the life of me, I can't find the right beginning. A hook is what I need. But with each line I write, nothing sounds right.

Everything comes out wrong. I keep slipping into a passive voice. And since the book I plan on writing is a non-fiction book, the active voice is a must.

Fiona was haunted by a ghost.

No, again, the passive voice.

Maybe a ghost haunted Fiona.

Still; not happy with that line. God, writing is difficult. And my only free time is Sunday.

But each time I go to write — something bugs me.

A bit of fluff on the carpet, a coffee stain on my desk, somebody whistling.

My mind has to be clear before I can start to write.

Which I do, at last, starting with this.

...

𝘍𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴, 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘦𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘭 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘨𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘯𝘨𝘵𝘩𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘧𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘨𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘮 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦; 𝘢 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘫𝘢𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘨𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴𝘵.

𝘏𝘰𝘸, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯, 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘮 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵?

𝘍𝘢𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥𝘴 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴𝘵 (𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘨𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴), 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥𝘸𝘪𝘥𝘦 — 𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘴 — 𝘳𝘦𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦: 𝘌𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘥𝘢𝘮𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯'𝘵.

𝘔𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘢𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘳 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵. 𝘈𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘭𝘭, 𝘏𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘨𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘴, 𝘭𝘶𝘴𝘩 𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘱𝘦, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘪𝘦𝘭𝘥𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘺.

𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘭, 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥, 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘴, 𝘱𝘰𝘦𝘵𝘴, 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘪𝘭𝘮𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘳𝘴, 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵; 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘶𝘱.

𝘈𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘢 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘣𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘢. 𝘎𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘭𝘦𝘴 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘪𝘥𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘳𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦, 𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘤 𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘴.

𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘺, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘭𝘥, 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘯𝘦𝘸𝘴𝘱𝘢𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴 — 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘢 𝘯𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘭: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘙𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘏𝘢𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨.

....

Delete, start from scratch; everything is sloppy — the writing is terrible, bad, awful.

But I won't erase what I've written. I carry on — with the first chapter because the old man still plagues my nightmares. I need to put that ghost to rest.

The one I feel is watching me, but it's only a wasp; I can hear flying around.

And each time I go to squat the insect, three more appear — the demonic number, the old man.

God, not again!