Chapter Thirty-Seven

For so long, Harmony knew about darkness. She knew it was a living creature with arms and legs — wasn't afraid of the daylight — could send you crazy if it wanted to. She and her family called this darkness; the old man.

And for a change, she didn't feel him lurking around as she went into the house. But there was something, a feeling of being watched.

But it was only Jay. He still looked terrible, and Harmony wanted to know if this was a good idea.

'What! Me being here?'

'Well, yeah, because you do look awful. Go upstairs and have a look in the mirror.'

She hoped Jay would, but he declined the offer.

'I think you're being paranoid. I feel fine. I really do.'

'If you say so.' Harmony said, but she could see perfectly well what was in front of her. Jay did look awful, and she suddenly got the notion. Maybe he had come down with a sudden bug.

That shit did happen — only a few weeks back — she had come down with a sudden bug.

'Well, if you're not going to do what I ask. Let me see if we got anything in the cupboard for you.'

'Like a lemon sip. I don't like them. So where's your mum and dad?'

'Don't change the subject.'

'I'm not. I'm curious.'

'Mum is probably still out, and dad. I think he's upstairs, sleeping.'

Bang on about that because, from upstairs, there was a low rumbling sound, sending foreshocks through her feet. It was her dad snoring.

'Sorry about that.' She apologised.

Not that she meant it. If truth be told, she wanted Jay to go home, not to be wandering around the kitchen, touching the sink, trailing his fingers on the worktops, and sniffing!

Now that was weird. Her boyfriend sniffing the air, darting his eye around the kitchen. What had gotten into him? She didn't know. And she looked around, hoping there might be an answer, but there wasn't. Only something unsettling about his behaviour. Something she didn't like.

'I really think you should go home?'

She hoped there might be an answer, but there were no words — nothing, only Jay, smelling the air. And then he stopped and gave Harmony a look she didn't care for.

Deadly and cold.

'Why are you looking at me like that for?'

'Because you're beautiful.' Came the reply, but it wasn't a compliment. Those always came with a smile. Jay was standing there, his face — dead.

'I'm beautiful, that's great, but you should go home.'

'Why, what's up? Don't you like it, us being alone?'

'I do, but I think you should go home. I call a taxi.'

Harmony began to do that, but her phone was snatched away.

'Why, you're acting so nervous?'

'I'm not.'

'You are; look at your hands; they're shaking.'

Jay was right; her hands were trembling.

'Well, perhaps I'm shaking because I don't feel comfortable. You're acting funny. I don't like it.'

Jay smirked and began to sniff Harmony.

'What you doing?'

'It's alright, just go with the flow.'