Finale Part One

What had begun with scratching at the window — (see chapter one of The Richmond Haunting) had grown so powerful. Even daylight was afraid of the terror.

And Fiona's plan was simple, another exorcism, a final showdown between her and the old man.

Only this exorcism wouldn't have permission from the church authorities.

It was just Fiona and her family — the ghost hunters, nobody else. The church, like Pilate, had washed their hands. They didn't want to know.

And it was a high gamble to take; the odds were not in her favour. The old man was still calling all the shots, but she was out of choices.

And before that final showdown, she had to fool the old man, pretend he wasn't real. This was part of her plan.

Because if everything about ignoring the devil was right — fear made the old man powerful — she had to give it a shot.

And this is what Fiona did as the girls stayed with their grandfather. She pretended not to be afraid.

Even as she woke up to see the headless man sitting on the bed, with his head held in his hands, she ignored it.

When she saw a dog with a man's face barking in the kitchen, she gave it no attention — it was all part of her plan to weaken the old man, that old devil who had kidnapped — so much of her life.

And now she wanted that back — she was tired of being afraid — of always being on the edge of her seat, waiting for something to happen.

She wanted her life back — for her family, to feel safe again.

It was why she kept the act up. Pretending she wasn't afraid of the devil, ignoring the supernatural forces in her home.

And before that hour came, the final showdown, Fiona had locked Steven in the bedroom because the person pretending to be her husband was more than a ticking time bomb.

Not only had he threatened her with a knife — he had sworn blind that he would slit the girl's throat.

'You just watched me. I'll cut them fucking deep and make you lick it up.'

And that was a risk; Fiona didn't want to take because the old man had already hurt her children in ways she could never think about.

And before the final showdown, Fiona had taken the handle away from the bedroom door, removed the spindle, and placed the handle back on.

Without the spindle, the doppelgänger couldn't escape, and at night as Fiona sat downstairs, knowing her children were safe, would hear the demon screaming.

'You won't win, toy — do you hear me, bitch? You won't win! Never!'

Fiona ignored the raging voice and continued to pray, finding strength in a god that remained unseen, and Steven, locked away in the bedroom when she did pray — would tell her to stop.

'You're fucking burning me. Stop fucking speaking to that fucking dog. Do you hear toy; you're burning me. It's hurting. Fucking stop it!.'

The old man could scream all he wanted; Fiona didn't care. The devil's last hours were upon him.