Chapter Nineteen

Sunday, Funday, shit not in the Berman's household. The terror still remained, puking up new horrors because Steven's bed was empty. He was nowhere in the house.

But this wasn't the fresh new horrors; it was Fiona when she went to the kitchen. Hundreds of wasps clung to the walls, the cupboards, and the window, all buzzing frantically.

Fiona, seeing the wasps, swung the door shut. And straight away, she phoned Jacob, hoping the priest might be able to help, but there was no answer.

Jacob was probably busy sleeping or getting his sermon in place. It was Sunday morning — after all.

So, she tried the kitchen again, putting her ear to the door. The wasps were still in the room; she could hear them buzzing around.

'Shit, fuck's sake!'

'What's wrong?'

 Katrina.

'Dammit, don't creep up on me like that. My nerves are bad enough without you giving me a heart attack.'

Katrina's face looked as though it was about to crumble for a second; her eyes went tearful.

Fiona saw the waterworks and gave her daughter a quick hug.

'I'm sorry, I should haven't snapped at you like that. I'm sorry.'

Katrina didn't say anything; she looked pale.

'Are you okay? You look a bit off-colour?' Fiona asked, stroking Katrina's face.

'He wouldn't leave me alone last night.'

'Who, the old man?'

'Yeah.' Katrina yawned, squinting her eyes together. 'I could hear him pacing around the bedroom, whistling. It was annoying.'

'Why didn't you say anything?'

Katrina threw her shoulders up in the air. 'I didn't want to worry you. You've got enough on your plate.'

'We all have.' Fiona said, 'but you shouldn't be dealing with this on your own; none of us should be. Now, where's your dad? Did you see him go out?'

'I thought he was sleeping.'

Fiona said he wasn't, and he was nowhere in the house.

'Maybe he did go out.' Katrina said, about to open the kitchen door up — when.

'Whoa, whoa, don't go in there.'

'Why?'

But it was too late; Katrina had walked into the kitchen.

'What's the panic for?' She asked.

'I thought there were wasps in here.' Fiona said — looking around the kitchen, surprised to see the wasps were all gone. 'I suppose you want some breakfast?'

'Is there any bacon? I'm dying for a bacon sandwich.'

'You don't want sauce on it, do you?'

Katrina leapt onto the counter table.

'Of course, both.'

Fiona went into the fridge, and sure enough, there was some bacon, and very soon, the pleasing aroma of bacon filled the kitchen.

'Are you not having one?'

Fiona said no — she was too concerned about Steven to eat and she gave Katrina her sandwich. The kid took it upstairs with her, and Fiona rang Steven's number.

She had to see where he was.

A waste of time because she could hear his phone ringing upstairs in the bedroom. The phone next to his house keys.