If You Were My Girl

Brett's P.O.V.

"Maybe we should go back." I suggest after a minute, she's seeming to drift and I think she's nodding off. When she hears my voice she starts slightly and she realizes where she is, when she tenses up I relax my arm from around her shoulders and she shivers again. I don't tighten my grip again until she moves closer herself, giving her the control.

"So, I take it you're not seeing anyone either?"

The question catches me off guard and I blink a couple times to refocus my brain. "Nope. Not presently."

"Do you famous people date a lot?"

I snicker quietly at her question and can tell she feels my body lurching slightly as I laugh, it causes her to look up at me. "Some do, some don't. It's not much different other than people besides family and friends becoming more interested than normal in your relationship.

"So..."

"I date, just not lately, I've kind of had some time to just focus on my career. It's not like I'm actively searching for 'the one' but if she comes along I can't say I'd be completely opposed to the whole situation."

"Oh."

I can feel her smirking at me and when I look down I find her fighting the urge to say something. "What?"

"You say 'the one' like there's only one person out of eight billion who's meant to be with you."

"Can't there be?"

"Mathematically, it's impossible."

I let out a sigh and turn to look down river, not really wanting to have my hopes and dreams crushed right now. "Sure, whatever."

"Well, I mean, just take into account the probability of meeting that person and that they are around your age and that-"

"Do food critics date?" I'm eager to get the conversation off of myself and my impossible odds. Realists can make the world such a foreboding place.

"Yeah, but most of the people they meet are just trying to get a free meal or two." Her face opens up in a laugh and soon I join her, she really is beautiful when she just lets go.

"Have you seen anyone as of recent?"

Now her face falls and she looks back over the river. Shivering even though I'm still holding her close. "Can we walk over the bridge?" She says quieter, I decide I'm probably not going to get an answer to that question. "Uh... Sure. If you're not too cold."

"I'll manage." She grins and steps away from me, moving farther down by herself before I catch up. Neither of us really says anything and we both wander on, I'm searching for something to say. "If this were a date, I'd say that right about now I would have decided it tanked."

A grin breaks out on my face and I look down into her dancing eyes as we walk on. "Gee... You flirted with someone else, I completely dissed your job, and stole your phone; then I almost made you yell at me... Oh, and you've jumped from fun and crazy to exasperated more times than I can count... Yeah, guess this would be a lousy date."

"Still I'm having fun."

"Before or after I hurt your feelings about who you are?"

"Oh shut up!" Naomi giggles and pushes me which I wasn't expecting. My feet stumble a little and she's grinning right back at me.

"You see my dear," I steady myself and throw my arm around her shoulders again, not sure if I'm doing it so she doesn't shove me again or because I can tell she's still cold. "To hang with me, all you gotta do is sit back and come along for the ride." I spread my hands out in front of us like I'm showing her something exciting. She laughs and I can almost hear her rolling her eyes.