I Wish

This is after they escape the maze and are crossing the scorch.

Newts POV
As we stopped for a rest I hear Minho sigh "I wish Arin was here" he said.
Everyone looked at him and someone asked "Do you mean Arik?"
"Kind of" Minho replied "there never was an Arik that was a fake name it was actually Arin".
"His name was Arin" someone whispered, obviously confused.
"Her name was Arin". There was a long pause.

Aris stared whispering "no she can't be dead she can't be".
Minho looked at him confused
"What what did she look like" asked Aris.
"She was tall for a 14 year older, she had long blonde hair and gray eyes with just a small amount of blue in them, just enough for it to seem that there was a ghost hiding in her eyes" he trailed off "she was beautiful".

"She was my twin the only people she let call her Arin was me and our older brother Nick". "He's dead too isn't he?"
"Yes".
"And then there was our cousin" he continued "from the moment we arrived she would call him a smart alec or a lizard and one day she came up with the nickname Newt. After that she would not call him anything else". Aris seemed to have forgotten that he had an audience, lost in his memories.
"To tease her he began to call her Kat, her real name was Katarina. There came a time when they were so close that if they were talking to each other they would answer only to their nicknames".
"The nickname Arin was created by our brother. Arin and Aris the perfect names for twins he would say. If anyone else wanted to call her a nickname she would tell them to call her Rina. She reserved Arin and Kat only for her family".
He took a deep breath before saying more.

"She loved to climb things walls, fences, trees, she always would put her hair in a braid before climbing or running or doing anything really. It's hard to belive she's gone".
For what felt like hours there was complete silence. No one said anything. Suddenly I felt like I had to say something.
"Aris do you remember what your cousin looked like" I asked.
"No why?"
"Because the name I rembered was Newt, my name is Newt. I called her Kat from the beginning, it just seemed right and now I'm starting to wonder".

Minho finally spoke "she loved to climb on her first day she ran into the maze and the only reason she survived is because she climbed the walls. She was out in the maze for 3 weeks and every morning she was gone I saw her silhouette in front of the sunrise".
"Her favorite time of day" Aris said.
"Newt say Kat" Aris said abruptly "say it like you were talking to her".
"Ok. Well then Kat welcome to the glade" I paused "that's one of the first things you said to her, the first time you called her Kat" Minho said seemingly, lost in the past aswell.

Aris's POV
"This must be a dream" I said. "This can't be real, this isn't real".
"It is impossible".
"Nothing is impossible" Newt whispered.
"Nothing".

Newt gave a tiny smile and added "Cousin".

Hey thank you for staying with me as I wrote this story. Just one more chapter until the end. This is my second favorite chapter in the story and I just couldn't wait any longer to post it. I wrote this chapter months ago. Thank you all so much for being such great readers.
Vote. Comment. Follow.
Peace.
-M