Selling My Soul to His Royal Nerdiness. (21)

Anna Taylor

"The Bamencian Force is the most elite military force in Europe."

I looked at Malda in disbelief. "Seriously? They even beat out Russia?"

Principal Malda glared at the interruption, but she seemed mildly amused. "Yes, they even, as you say, 'beat out' Russia." She turned back to Noah and began her steady walk around the room again.

It turns out that Principal Malda's office stemmed out to three more rooms. One, she informed us, extra quarters for her. Another, a small sitting room and the last, she didn't talk about.

We were in the sitting room. Noah sat behind a desk in the corner, deep redwood, as he took notes inside of a leather-bound journal that Principal Malda gave to him. I was doing my homework.

It was a bit hard to concentrate on my Calculus when A) It was practically Chinese to me and B) Silas was taking me out on a date later on. I liked to daydream about things that he'd do. Lord knew that I stopped trying to guess after the fourth date (he took me to the circus).

"All Bamencian children, both male and female, are trained in basic hand-to-hand combat for at least three years. If a certain child shows promise or interest in the military, further training is optional. All of the Royal family have at least five years of training under their belts."

In my mind, I saw a bunch of children lined up in school, learning fighting stances and quick cuts. I decided that the Bamencian school system was awesome.

She looked at Noah almost sternly. "I highly doubt that you will not have to do the same." The principal began to pace again as she lectured. "There are some prestigious families in Bamencia that are born into their duties as protectors of the royal family. They have lessened, over time, but there are still a few that are fiercely to the royals of the kingdom." She paused, as if debating with herself, then looked at Noah and then me. "Your bodyguard, Harrison, is one of those people."

Unsurprising, I must admit. Noah even nodded, as if he'd already known. A piece of black hair fell into his eyes. He made an annoyed sound and brushed it back messily, raking a hand through his hair.

He really was a work of art. I was still puzzled as to how Macey took my little nerd and brought back a Greek God. If he didn't do little things that was completely and utterly Noah, I'd be convinced that he had a full body transplant.

Like the way he stuttered when he was nervous. Or that weird tint that his darkened skin when he blushes, which happens quite often. And how he still brings out that weird psychology book every once in a while, just to read it.

Another mystery was the suit that Noah received in the mail. I hadn't seen hide nor hair of it, and he certainly didn't mention it. I assumed that it was an unwanted gift and left it at that.

The tutoring session was wrapped up about ten minutes later. I began to pack up my untouched books five minutes in, so my bags was ready when Noah's was. We said our goodbyes and began the long walk out to the parking lot.

In the second of week of Principal Malda's teaching, I'd noticed that Noah was rather...quiet for a few minutes after. Not sad, just thoughtful. When I prodded him, he said something about 'finding out where he was from' being a bit overwhelming.

It was the fifth week of school, and the silences were becoming shorter. By the time we were to the car, he was smiling a little.

"What?" I asked. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," he answered. "Its just...things about how I was raised are starting to make sense."

"I'm glad yours does," I grumbled jokingly as he walked around to the passenger side of my car. "My parents were young. They learned a lot of lessons through trial-and-horrible failure."

We both got into the car while Noah chuckled. "Well, that explains it."

"Explains what?"

"The reason why you turned out the way you did."

"Says the nerd." I socked him in the arm and he laughed gently, his brown eyes light.

"I never said it was a bad thing, Anna."

"Yeah, well, you implied." I cranked up the car and listened to its purr with satisfaction. I took my foot off of the gas, momentarily, and looked at Noah. "You know what? I don't feel like going home just yet."

"Why not?"

I shook my head. "Don't get me started. Come on, Noah. Name a place where we can go."

He opened his mouth. I cut in with a sudden glare: "So help me God, Noah, if you suggest the library, I will strangle you with my shoelaces."

"Okay then." He swallowed and put a chin to his hand. "Hmm..."

"I've got it!" I slammed a hand down on the armrest and grinned. "Let's go see the newest horror flick!"

*

The movie was longer than I'd anticipated, so I was running through the front door and darting up the stairs as soon as I got home. I slid out of my uniform and shimmied into a pair of jeans and the ROYAL NERDINESS shirt with a pair of flats.

I yanked my hair from the high ponytail that it was in and combed it with my fingers just as the doorbell rang.

"Guy hopping," West said casually, leaning in my door frame. People seemed to do that a lot.

"Excuse me?" I went through my jewelry box and pulled out a black choker.

"You're guy hopping. You just came back from a date with Noah, and now you're going with Silas."

"Am not!" I protested, having located the necklace.

West shrugged at me through the mirror. "Just letting you know that you might want to stop and think. Make a decision."

And then he left. Just like that.

He was so weird.

*

A bit of a filler, but I thought I'd just like to get something out there. The sh*t is about to seriously start hitting the fan though. Just a warning.

Dedicated to LateNightOwl because she inspired me. The contest entries so far are SO good. I'm dreading having to pick a winner.

I've also decided that I'm not going to beg for comments anymore. I know I love them and everything, but waiting on you guys to drum up a devent amount of comments in order to write something just isn't working. So I'm writing for me, now.

That is all.

Bye!

-S.G.R.