Selling My Soul to His Royal Nerdiness. (22)

Anna Taylor

"They're fighting again." Kolbie was by her window, watching the fireworks that were going off in our front yard. And by fireworks, I mean Chance and Macey.

They'd been fighting for weeks. It'd started the week after school began. Chance would make an offhand remark and Macey would take offense, and vice versa. It got to the point where Kolbie refused to ride with them in the car on the way and back to school. Noah didn't like arguing, for some reason, so he completely left the room when they started on each other.

Kolbie was chewing her lip nervously, watching the pair. I knew she was worried.

See, Kobie had this fear that Macey was only her friend because she was in Chance. I knew that Macey loved Kolbie, but my sister didn't.

I walked over to the window and put a hand on her shoulder. Outside, the sun was going down. Noah was still doing his homework, West was out somewhere, and my parents were on a date--most likely baby shopping (my dad tended to get excited about that sort of thing. I think it's because he didn't get to help out much when my mom was pregnant with Chance and me.)

Kolbie turned to me, chewing on her lower lip nervously. "They'll be alright, right?"

Kolbie, I knew, had this weird notion that without Chance, Macey would want to have nothing to do with her. But that was ridiculous. When Mace first saw my younger sister, it was like love at first sight.

Who couldn't love Kobie? She was like a puppy. An adorable, big eyed puppy who talked maybe a little too much. But adorable, none the less.

I swallowed, because I couldn't think of anything to say to her. I couldn't exactly lie to her, not when I knew that Chance had found someone else.

I had to tread carefully. But what do I say? 'Sure'? 'Not really, Kolbie, because Chance is in love with a disabled girl'?

Thankfully, the from door slammed downstairs. The loud sound of heels thumping on carpet stopped me though.

And then Macey was at the door marching toward me and wrapping her hand around my wrist. "Anna, we're going to talk." Her voice was still sharp from the fight, her face delicately flushed. Had that been me, I would've been as red as a tomato.

"Uh--" I stammered. Did Chance tell her? If he did, did he tell her that I knew? Maybe he did, and she's going to take me to the front yard so Kolbie doesn't have to watch her kick my ass.

Because, let's face it: If it ever came to a fight, Macey would kill me. She was taller and all of that cheerleader made her stronger. Plus, I'd seen her fight before. An unfortunate incident in sophmore prompted her to beat the biatch.

And yes. She'd used her nails.

"Now." Head cheerleader Macey came out to play.

"Can I come too?"

Macey looked at Kolbie. Her tone was slightly warmer when she slowly shook her head, offering Kolbie a small smile. "Sorry, Kolbs, but I need to speak to Anna in private."

Kolbie's lip quivered. Macey sighed and opened her arms. "Come here."

Kolbie ran over to my brother's girlfriend and they hugged. A spark of unreasonable jealously ran through me. Kolbie and I were close, but we weren't that close.

"Promise that you'll stay my friend, even if you and Chance fall out." Kolbie's words were mumbled, but I heard them clearly.I held my breath.

But my worry was needless. Macey nodded against Kolbie's hair. "I swear on my favorite pair of pradas, I won't quit on you just because your brother's acting like a little b!tch."