Chapter 9

"Emmy...breakfast is ready!" Will called cheerfully as he set the last plate of food on the table.

"Emmy? That's cute," Claire said with a chuckle.

"Shhh, she'll hear you," Will quietly chided, putting his finger to his lips.

"Sorry," Claire mouthed with a smile.

"Coming!" Emily called as she bounded down the stairs.

"Emily, must you run down the stairs?" Max called out as he folded up the newspaper he had been reading.

"Sorry, Maximillian," Emily apologized as she entered the kitchen. "Mmmm, yummy! Smells like..."

Emily stopped mid-sentence when she saw Claire sitting at the breakfast nook table next to Will and Max. She hesitated for a moment and then broke into a huge smile.

"Will, you found her!" Emily shouted gleefully as she ran over to the table. "I knew you would! Oh wait...I'll be right back!"

Emily promptly turned and skittered off back to her room. Moments later, she was standing right back where she had been previously. Emily held out the brooch to Claire.

"This is yours, Miss," Emily said, smiling.

"Thank you, Emily. This brooch is very special to me. It was a gift from my mother," Claire said fondly as she gently took the brooch into her hands and examined it. "And thankfully, it isn't damaged."

"It had a bit of dirt on it, but I cleaned it for you," Emily noted.

"I understand that this brooch isn't the only I reason I should be thanking you. Your brother told me that you are the reason that he decided to find and help me," Claire related.

"Yeah, I told Will that I wanted to find you so I could return the brooch, but he said you were probably trouble," Emily began.

"Em!" Will protested.

"Oh, he said that, did he?" Claire said as she glanced at Will and gave him a playful smile.

Will smiled sheepishly and gave a little shrug.

"Yup, but I asked him to at least think about it, and he said he would. And now here you are!" Emily finished. "I knew he would do the right thing."

"He's a pretty good guy, huh?" Claire whispered as she leaned closer to Emily.

"The best!" Emily whispered back.

"I'm right here, you two," Will jokingly interrupted. "Anyway, come on. Let's eat before the food gets cold."

Emily giggled and then sat down in the last empty chair.

"Waffles are my favorite!" Emily noted.

"Mine too," Claire agreed.

"Really?" Emily asked as she put her napkin in her lap. "Hey, wait a minute! I just thought of something...I don't know your name."

"You're right! Where are my manners? I'm sorry, Emily," Claire replied. "I'm Claire."

"Claire...that's a pretty name," Emily complimented. "Well...I'm glad we bumped into each other yesterday."

"Me too," Claire agreed.