Chapter 28

"The transfer process still isn't working properly," Sal explained to Jim. "But I think I know why."

"Well?" Jim said impatiently as he adjusted a bandage that was wrapped around his hand.

Thanks to Atticus, Jim had escaped from the explosion with only a few minor shrapnel wounds. Several days had passed since that fateful night at the warehouse. Since then, Jim had learned that Moe was still alive, and he was anxious to get his revenge.

"I searched through Dr. Ferryman's office and found this," Sal shared as he handed Jim a large notebook.

Jim began to flip through the pages, examining each one carefully. It was a journal filled with Arthur's personal notes and sketches concerning various projects.

"Turn to the page with the bookmark," Sal instructed.

Jim turned the pages until he came to the place that Sal had mentioned. Jim recognized the sketch on the left page as the power core and transfer protocol unit that Lana and Diego were working on. However, on the right page, there was a rough sketch of something that he was not familiar with. Under the sketch, Arthur had scribbled, "Component #35".

"What's this?" Jim asked, pointing to the sketch.

"I'm not sure," Sal answered. "I showed it to Lana and Diego, and neither of them had ever seen it before. But no doubt it's the reason we haven't been able to finish."

Jim continued flipping the pages of the journal, but there was no further information on Component #35.

"So now what?" Jim asked.

"There isn't enough information there to be useful for anything," Sal explained, shaking his head. "After I saw the sketch, I searched his entire office, but there were no plans, drawings, notes...nothing...no other mention of Component #35."

"Damn!" Jim exclaimed. "Keep searching. There's no way Arthur would have allowed this project to go unfinished. There has to be something else...more information somewhere. Tear this place apart to find it if you have to."

"Yes, sir," Sal responded.

"And tell Lana and Diego to keep trying," Jim added.

Sal gave a nod of assent and then left.