Chapter 39

"How do you feel, Max?" Will quietly asked once they had stopped to hide behind the corner of the building across from the Emporium.

"Excellent, William," Max whispered.

"I know you haven't had a chance to get a feel for your upgrades, but I suppose this is as good an opportunity as any to see what you can do," Will stated. "Claire said you should be able to do all the things that Atticus, that black automaton, can do."

"Ah, so that automaton's name is Atticus, is it?" Max asked.

"Yup," Will replied.

Across the street, the giant automaton had almost finished destroying the Emporium.

"Can you get me up to the top of that thing?" Will asked as he looked up toward the automaton's head.

"I most certainly can," Max answered confidently.

"Ok, then we'd better go now before it decides to move on," Will said.

As Will and Max emerged from their hiding place and began to run across the street, the giant automaton smashed through the Emporium's remaining section of wall and then began to slowly make its way down 1st Street.

"Climb onto my back," Max said as he paused for a moment once they were within about ten yards of the automaton's feet.

Will obeyed and grabbed onto the two handles that he had built into Max's shoulders. He then put his feet into two indentations in Max's back. Max began to sprint toward the automaton's left leg, and Will pulled himself into Max as tightly as he could and braced himself. Suddenly, Max leapt into the air and grabbed onto the automaton's leg.

"Hang on, William!" Max shouted as he began to ascend.

Max cautiously made his way up the side of the automaton, using various protrusions as hand and footholds. Eventually, he swung onto the automaton's back and was finally able to pull himself up onto the shoulder.

"Almost there, Max," Will noted.

"I must say...you and Claire did a wonderful job!" Max complimented. "Ready?"

"Go for it!" Will said.

Max prepped himself for the final jump and then shot up into the air and landed on the automaton's head. Will could see the entrance hatch only a few feet away. Suddenly, the hatch opened, and Atticus climbed out and closed the hatch with his foot.

"Uh oh," Will muttered. "Better get us out of here, Max."

Instantly, Max jumped back down onto the giant automaton's shoulder and began to descend the way he had come.

"Claire!" Will shouted. "Change of plans. I don't think we'll be able to use the main entrance. Atticus is up here!"

"The only other option you have is the maintenance hatch on the left side of the torso," Claire instructed through the transceiver.

"You heard her, Max," Will said as he looked around to see if Atticus was pursuing them.

Atticus was nowhere in sight. A few moments later, Max had reached the maintenance hatch on the torso.

"Autumn!" Will shouted.

An unlocking sound was heard, and Will pushed the hatch open. Just was he was stepping into the automaton's torso, Atticus leapt from the automaton's left arm and struck Max in the chest, knocking Will into the torso and causing Max to fall. Will immediately got up, closed the hatch, and engaged the manual lock.

"Max!" Will called into his transceiver. "Max, are you ok?!"

For a moment, Will only heard the sound of grunting and clashing metal.