Chapter 44

After putting Emily to bed, Will returned downstairs to the kitchen where he found Claire and Max sitting at the breakfast nook table. Claire was stirring a cup of tea; a second cup was sitting on the table in front of the empty seat next to her.

"Hey, you two," Will greeted as he joined his friends at the table. "Thanks for cleaning up."

"Our pleasure, William," Max replied. "Emily was pretty tuckered out, huh?"

"Yeah," Will responded as he picked up the cup of tea in front of him. "Thanks for the tea."

"That was Claire's doing," Max noted.

"Thanks," Will said to Claire as he gave her a smile.

"You're welcome," Claire softly replied.

"Well, I think I'm going to catch up on some reading," Max said as he rose from the table. "Goodnight, you two."

Will and Claire said goodnight and then watched as Max left the room.

"Come sit outside with me," Will said as he took Claire's hand into his own and rose from the table.

"Ok," Claire replied with a smile.

Will led the way to the backyard where he and Claire sat down on a wooden bench chair. Claire pulled her feet up under her and snuggled up against Will. For a while, they just sat in silence, sipping their tea and watching the stars.

"I wish I didn't have to go," Claire finally said sadly.

"Me too," Will agreed. "At least it's only until Christmas. Besides...you'll be so busy finishing your research that the time will fly by."

"I suppose...It'll be nice to spend Christmas with you, Emily, and Max," Claire said warmly.

"It'll be wonderful to have you with us," Will responded. "After all, we are pretty fond of you."

Claire looked up at Will and smiled, and he bent his head down and lovingly kissed her lips.