Chapter 14

"So you know where he is?" Emily asked excitedly.

"I think so...but I'm not sure," Will replied.

"Is it going to be dangerous?" Emily inquired cautiously.

"It might be," Will answered honestly. "But that's part of the job..."

"I know," Emily said quietly. "Be careful, ok?"

"I will, Em," Will agreed. "I promise."

"Will...Hey, Will," interrupted a voice.

Will started and looked over to see Hank sitting next to him on the front seat his car. Hank looked back with a puzzled expression. Max was sitting quietly in the backseat.

"You listening? I said it might be a good idea to go down 4th," Hank said.

"Yeah, ok...sorry...my mind was drifting," Will replied. "I was thinking about Em."

"Oh...I thought maybe you were daydreaming about Claire," Hank said with chuckle.

"Claire? Come on," Will said coyly.

"So you can dish it out, but you can't take it, huh?" Hank teased.

Max gave a laugh.

"Touché...fair enough," Will acquiesced. "But seriously though...we gotta be careful tonight. We're all Em has. If something happens to us..."

"Nothing's gonna happen," Hank encouraged. "We'll be careful. If the coast is clear, we make a move. If it's too hot, we bide our time. Simple as that. Don't worry about Emily. Just stay focused...one step at a time."

"I know...you're right. Thanks, Hank," Will said.

Will turned down 4th Street and drove until they reached the dock district. At the corner of 4th and Magnolia, Will pulled alongside the curb and parked the car. Off to their right down Magnolia, they could see a large single-story building with signage that read: "Salley Seafood Emporium".

"Well, there it is...and that looks like Moe's car," Hank noted, discreetly pointing to one of the vehicles parked outside.

"We'd better just stake it out from here for a while," Will suggested.

Hank nodded in agreement.

"Max, keep an eye out behind us," Will said, looking in the rearview mirror.

Max gave a slight nod and turned to keep watch out the rear window.

Over an hour passed in dark silence – save for a few passing cars – as the three friends kept their vigilant watch. Suddenly, Hank elbowed Will.

"Hey, look," Hank said with quiet excitement.

Will looked toward the Emporium and saw two men leave the building and walk to the car Hank had identified as belonging to Moe.

"Julius and Moe," Will stated.

"They're leaving," Hank said as Julius and Moe drove away. "Now's our chance."

Will waited a moment longer and then started the car. He turned onto Magnolia and slowly drove past 1st Street and the Emporium.

"We're in luck! There's a spot right across from the little alley. Park there," Hank said, pointing at an empty patch of curb.

Will parked the car but left it running for a moment as he cautiously scanned the street to make sure no one was around. Finally, he turned the car off.

"Hank...I don't see a dumpster," Will said disappointedly as he looked down the dark alley directly across the street.

"What? Damn! What did they do with it?" Hank complained as he leaned across Will and peered out the window.