Chapter 43

After having a lovely time at the barbeque, people began to leave until only Will, Claire, Emily, and Max remained. As Max and Claire began to tidy up, Will walked over and stretched out next to Emily, who was lying on the backyard grass and looking up at the stars.

"It's been a crazy summer, hasn't it, sis," Will commented after a few moments of silence.

"Yeah," Emily replied. "I don't think I'll ever be able to forget it."

"Me either," Will agreed.

Another period of silence passed.

"I'm proud of you, Emmy," Will said warmly. "Mom and dad would be proud of you too. Brave, smart, funny, beautiful...you're quite an amazing young lady...and a pretty good private investigator too!"

"Of course I am," Emily said. "I'm an Irving!"

"We never would have solved this case if you hadn't encouraged me to look for Claire," Will noted. "Thanks again for setting me straight."

"I told you it was a good idea," Emily said.

"You don't have to rub it in," Will said jokingly as he rolled onto his side and began to tickle his sister.

Emily began to laugh as she tried to fend Will off. He finally desisted and rolled over onto his back again. Silence prevailed once again as the two siblings continued to admire the night sky.

"Claire's pretty great, isn't she?" Will asked, breaking the silence.

"Yeah," Emily replied. "I like her a lot."

"Me too," Will shared.

"She likes you a lot too," Emily said, smiling.

"She told you that?" Will inquired.

"Yeah," Emily replied. "But it isn't too hard to tell."

"Like I said...a pretty good little investigator!" Will quipped.

Emily giggled and then snuggled up to her brother. Quite some time passed before Will realized that his sister had fallen asleep. He carefully rolled over and then took Emily in his arms and carried her inside.