Chapter 2

“Come on down for breakfast kids, y’all don’t wanna be late on the first day of school!” My dad yelled from down the bottom of the stairs.

“We’re coming dad!” I said racing to put the finishing touches of my makeup on my face. Nessa was texting away on her phone. I always wonder why she finishes before me. She’s late at waking up but is the first one ready, it doesn’t add up lol.

“Are y’all excited about the first day of y’alls last year in high school?” my mother asked in her deep southern accent.

“Of course!” Vanessa screamed after chopping down on her piece of bacon. “Lucy and I are gonna tear down that school! Boys, parties, prom, parties, boys, graduation, boys, parties, and SENIOR WEEK! OMG Lucy! We gotta go shopping for senior week!”

“Calm down sweetie!” my mom said laughing. “Senior week is 10 months away!”

“And y’all need to keep y’alls head in the books! No boys, no parties, and NO BOYS! Y’all hear me?” Dad said smiling while eating his sausage and eggs.

“Ew stop!” Vanessa and I screamed.

 ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

“Blurred Lines! Uh, I know you want it!” we sang as we cruised on down the country roads, headed into the city.

During one of Robin Thicke’s verses, I drifted off into my own little world. What if people still mess with me or pick on me this year. Yes, I lost nearly 20 pounds over the summer, but would it make any difference to them? No. I’m just thankful that I don’t have to suffer this year alone. I’ve got Nessa. Hopefully she doesn’t get sick for a week again….that was the worst week of my life, seriously.

“Lucy? Lucy! We’re here!” screamed a voice in my ear. Turning my head  to the left, I see Nessa staring at me with a concerned look on her face. “Are you alright babe? You know that I’m here for you, always.”

“Thanks,” I responded with a half-hearted smile. “I know. I’m just scared that the torment will start as soon as I walk through those doors, Nessa. I don’t know if I can take this anymore.”

There was a burning sensation in my eyes. Next, I felt hot liquid rush down my face. I then realized that I was crying.

Looking through my tears, I see Vanessa reaching over the console, wrapping her arms around me and starting to sing one of my favorite songs. After a while, I felt better. Then I started laughing so hard that I was crying happy tears as Vanessa tried to rap J. Cole’s verse.

After our little bonding session, she wipes my tears, leans in, and says, “I have ‘Nessa J’ in my purse and if anyone steps to ya, imma cut they eyes out. Now, come on chile, mama’s right here. Let’s go show the school what we’re made of.”

Since Vanessa’s parking space was located at the end of the parking lot, we had to walk by tons of different people! First it was the stoners, they’re really cool people. I usually see them in the hallways our sitting outside under the big willow tree. Next there was your rednecks, they’re ok, I’ve never associated with them. After passing the AV squad, the international club, the academics, and the jocks/cheerleaders, we finally make it to the front steps.

Whew! You’re doing good Lucy. Just be confident in yourself.

“Come on girl, we gotta check our makeup before we do anything else Nessa says laughing as she pulls me into the nearest bathroom.

Since when had nearly 20 minutes before reporting to class, we walked towards our lockers. As we passed several people, I noticed that some had small genuine smiles on their faces and saying hi to us.