Chapter 6

When I finally slipped from my pain induced unconsciousness, it was to the smell of smoke. I jarred myself out of sleep in hysteria, eyes almost bulging out of the sockets like a spooked horse, I tried to move but found myself unable to. I let out an involuntary sound of distress as I tried to free myself, a sense of vertigo unsettling my stomach as I was still not fully in the land of wakefulness.

With a grunt, I managed to turn onto my side. Seeing flames lick the side of a fire pit soothed me out of my panic; that was until I realised my predicament in a flash of memories.

I went to lift myself up but stopped when the air rush from my lungs, leaving me wheezing as I realised my ribs were probably even more broken- I half-mindedly hoped I didn't have a punctured lung.

Swallowing down the pain, I managed to sit myself up; looking around I noticed I was alone and in a cave of some sorts, in fact when my eyes properly adjusted to the dim light of the fire I found the space around me far too decorated to be cave- it was a den. From the looks of it I seemed to have been taken hostage by the creature from before. For what purpose I didn't know, and didn't plan to stick around to find out. Movement is key to survival.

Slowly but surely, using the wall for support, I got to my feet. Looking around I saw the room was in quite a state of disarray, like someone had thrown a fit and tossed various objects about. A broken piece of ceramic, that may have once been part of a vase or bowl, glinted in the fire's light, I picked it up. Inspecting the sharp edge I confirmed its possible use as a weapon, I tucked it safely into the back of my trousers.

This situation wasn't particularly foreign to me, on more than one occasion I had awoke to find myself strapped into a chair or ties to a table- it just became in occupational hazard in my line of work.

I manoeuvred myself around the outskirts of the cave, following the smoke to where it was filtering out, the tunnel ahead was like a black hole, not even the light could penetrate its murky depths. But looking around there were no other exits, I had no choice in the matter.

Carefully I went back to the fire. Picking up a stray branch as thick and long as my forearm I pushed it into the middle of the fire, coaxing the end to catch the flame.

Once I had my source of light I set off. Trying to be as quick as possible, knowing that the flame wouldn't burn for very long, I made my way down the passage. There were scratches lacing the walls, some so deep that the whiter stone glowed through others stretching too high above my head to see clearly in the low light.

As I traversed further in, the walls began to look less scarred, it was getting lighter but the air became unusually warm. Just as the tunnel opened up, my torch gave out in a plume of smoke.

It was like walking into a different land. Suddenly the air was humid, steam drifted from the large pool up to the stalagmite covered hole in the chasm's ceiling where the sun made rainbows before the swirling cloud dissipated beyond. A hot spring; I could faintly remember them the subject of a hype, being praised for their supposed 'healing' or 'rejuvenating' properties when I was young. However, no matter how it enticed me, I had no time to take a dip.

I dropped the torch, turning my attention to the hole as an opportunity to escape rather than a thing of beauty. Skirting around the water, I pawed at the walls, most were wet and borderline slippery. I almost debated the climb.

Rubbing my hands together, with mixed feelings I started to ascend. Being especially mindful of my hand and foot placements as the rock got increasingly steeper. I could feel a breeze now, only a few more metres and I would be able to haul myself up and out. My foot, however, had managed to snag on something. In frustration I tried to tug it free, when it didn't budge I went to glare at the stubborn rock that dared withhold me from freedom.

Except it wasn't a rock.

A hand- a hand covered in black fur, grey skin and tipped with sharp claws. My eyes stiffly followed the thick, outstretched arm then, with reluctance, to its lupine face.

I stared into the black bead like eyes of a beast, I saw my reflection in them, its teeth although hidden still left bulges against the lip of its elongated face.

Its hand- claw- closed around my foot, I glanced at the opening; it growled, ears flicked back- knowing and warning me against my next action.

One chance.

I braced my hands, striking out with my other foot; I aimed for its muzzle. It snarled and snatched my ankle with scary ease.

Only then did it notice it was hanging on the face of the wall by only its feet- or whatever they were- it slipped, loosing balance and started to slip, I smirked triumphantly, freedom was mine. That is until I remembered it still had my feet.

The beast yelped in shock when the stone gave way and crumbled.

Totally unprepared, I was dragged down, floundering through the air until I slammed into the scolding water in an exaggerated belly-flop. Harshly reminded that my ribs were injured, the pain rushed through my spine making me unconsciously gasp in the water. For a second the world turned white, and then I was out of the water and clinging to something warm. I choked, lungs trying to expel their unnatural content. Completely negligent to my surroundings as I shivered, retching between heaving gasps.

When my mind came to again I was seated, pressed against a source of great heat and Feeling impossibly frail I looked up and swallowed, however this time I was more prepared for the sight before me.

I still had to hold a flinch as it lowered its head. It whined- the keening noise making me release a shuddering breath I didn't know I was holding.

Surprisingly gentle-firm hands cradling me close as its cold nose pressed into my nape.

"Will not hurt, mate." the hot puffs of breath tickled my neck, I couldn't help the increasing rate of my heart as it's claws rhythmically brushed down my back and the wirery, bristle like hair on its chest prickled into my cheek.

My mind buzzed, but body refused to move only allowing me to lightly scrunch my eyebrows. What the hell is this thing?

A word drifted though my mind, its claim almost undeniably unquestionable.

Lycan.

AN: Thanks for reading, hope you're enjoying this as much as I am. Leave a vote and a comment if you please. xxx <3