Chapter 18

Adam used his mind link to call the baby's parents, apparently, because there wasn't so much as a knock on the door when an unfamiliar lady waltzed in and took the now mellowed infant.

Just as soon as the door closed, Adam was on me. Literally.

"You're crushing me." I said, half amused.

Adam groaned, rolling off but still holding me close, "I missed you." he kissed the underside of my chin, rubbing his nose into my cheek, then repeated the process on my temple.

"I missed you too, but don't think I'm forgiving you just yet." keeping ones voice stern is particularly hard when someone is all but lathering you in kisses and nuzzles like a puppy, it seems.

"Mhmm" he mumbled lips far too busy behind my ear. Close to giving in to the delicate sensation I almost sighed contently, but then it dawned on me.

With all of the finesse of the honed soldier I was, I flipped myself, so that Adam lay straddled underneath me and crossed my arms, glaring.

"Stop scent marking me you dog."

"Wolf." he corrected, grinning cheekily and looking away, knowing he had been caught red handed

"Adam, I'm serious. You need to start explaining things to me." running a hand through my knotted hair and exhaling sharply through my nose to vent some of my frustrations. I was tired, confused and felt the stirrings of hunger to boot; but I didn't want to take out my anger on someone else, least of all on Adam. I pinched the bridge of my nose, feeling the headache slowly sink in and build up, absently I noted the stiffness of my shirt and the salty tang emanating from my skin, I needed a shower too.

Suddenly I was sitting upright, as always coddled in Adams tight embrace as his chest vibrated in a soft growl. Cheek to his chest, I sighed – going slack.

"I'll tell you later, first get some sleep. You look exhausted."

"I feel exhausted... But I'm noting letting you give me the slip again. Start explaining, keep it simple, less than a hundred words." I laughed at myself, planting my face more soundly into his neck and waiting.

This time Adam sighed. I could practically hear the gears turning in his head.

"What... What do you want to know." He'd drawn a blank on where to start then.
"Everything; what's a Lycanthrope and why do the vampires hate you, what does it mean to be your mate, what were you even doing last night, and why didn't you mark me? Lets start with that."

"Okay..." his arms held me a little tighter, starting his explanations in a soft but firm voice.
"Lycanthropes – lycans- no one knows where we originated from or how we came to be but some of us speculate that we are descendants of a different branch of the human genus that spontaneously appeared because of a gene mutation, others, lycans with more traditional views, say that we are the descendants of gods. And that's what humans thought of us for a while, ages ago, many millennia, we were worshiped as such because of our super natural abilities.

"Then the vampires, they dislike the fact that we are stronger than them; that with age a lycans powers grow but for a vampire their powers have to be cultivated with work. Not all vampires dislike us however, I myself am allied to many a wise Old blood and their clans. It is just the few who let jealousy eat away at them, I find, who hold such malevolence towards us. In all honesty, some might have particular grudges, its hard to live such a long life without compiling some ill will, but I believe, its partially because we are alive and they are not...

"Last night I ran with my pack, it happens every full moon normally. But last night was the first time I could in a long time, because usually I'm locked up and drugged on wolfsbane." Coming to his final question, I heard Adam swallow, his breathe coming even more silently.
"Last night, I wouldn't mark you because the moon was swaying your actions and I want us to be completely one minded when it comes to it. And..." He hesitated.

"And..." I prompted.

"And, when I mark you... You'll become a Lycanthrope too." Adam pulled back and stared me dead in the eye.

"That was way over one hundred words." I laughed, swatting him on the chest.
Adam held onto the offensive hand, eyebrows knitting together, "This isn't something to take lightly Lydia."

"The way that you put it, being a lycan doesn't sound all that bad. But you're right, marking me isn't something to be taken lightly, it sounds like a commitment that's important to you, so thanks for holding back last night." I kissed his cheek meaningfully.

Carefully, I disentangled Adams arms from my being and hopped off of the bed, sending him a sideways smile. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but right now I need a shower and some food." I opened the first door I came to, the bathroom, perfect. I pointed to the room, "So I'm going to shower, and if you would get me something to eat I might forgive you for leaving me alone last night." I grinned, but Adam only replied with a weak smile and nod. "Adam. Its really okay." I met his eyes before turning into the bathroom and closing the door.

I let my back slide down the smooth wood of the door, until I was sat on the cool floor and I looked down at my hands as they lay loosely curled in my lap. I bit my lip.

"It's really not okay."

AN: I'll just let this sink in.

Thanks for reading, hope you're enjoying the book,
Leave a vote and a comment, lots of love
Joules xxx