Let The Adventure Begin (2)

I dug into my jeans and found the spare keys to the car and quickly found it in the parking lot. I threw my backpack in the back and started it up. He was still suspicious of the vehicle, but put up with it for now. If I remembered correctly, the location wasn't too far from the hospital itself. At least we weren't being followed for the time being.

The drive was quiet. It gave me a lot of time to think about this whole situation. This wasn't like me. I wouldn't run off on some quest to help a strange, but utterly attractive man in the middle of New Zealand. This just isn't me, but something else commanding me to do so. As turned many a bend, I could see the road start too narrow and change to gravel. We were close.

I parked the car in the same place as before and took the keys out. I hesitated on keeping them, but if I never came back then there was no purpose in doing that. I made sure that I got everything I needed and left the keys on the front seat unlocked. I looked back at it one last time and headed out.

I reached into my backpack pockets and grabbed my flashlight as we headed onwards. No words were said between us and I didn't like the silence. I wanted to know more and more about him, but I had a feeling he wasn't going to tell me. We made it to the cut out in a few minutes and began our search.

"Why help me?" He asked suddenly.

I blushed and answered, "I don't know. I just did it by instinct."

He sharply looked down and said, "Well, thank you."

I nodded my head and continued to look around.

Strider's POV

As I combed the ground beneath us, I couldn't help but think of what she said. That she decided to help me by instinct. She didn't know me. I had attacked her and made her feel helpless, but she still gave me kindness.

I pushed those thoughts out of my head and kept searching. I found my dagger lying on the ground. I picked it up, wiped it off, and put it back in its sheath. There had to be something here. Something that would get me back to my journey.

Sage's POV

I combed through every single piece of dirt and rock that was in this area and found absolutely nothing. I was disappointed and discouraged. It was getting later by the minute and thunder started to boom in the sky. I yawned and sat down. I felt bad for giving up, but what else could I do? Until we found something, we were just wasting time and energy.

I looked around and started to gather a few sticks. Even if it was going to rain, I wanted to be warm. I made a small campfire and huddled next to it. I looked over at him and saw that he was still desperately searching.

"You aren't going to find anything. Just sit down. It's going to rain soon," I said.

He glanced back at me, but said nothing.

"Suit yourself," I said quietly to myself.

I reached into my backpack and pulled out a small blanket I had packed in case I got cold. I wrapped it around my back and looked at my phone. I was getting text messages and phone calls out the ass. I wanted to respond, I really did. I just couldn't in fear that this man would get taken to a place that he didn't belong in.

Speaking of him, I looked over at him and saw that he had finally sat down and given up searching. He sat a good distance from me, which saddened me a bit but then again he didn't know me all that well. He didn't even know my name. Thankfully my stomach growled and I was taken out of thought. I reached into my backpack and pulled out a granola bar. I peeled it and took a bite. It was slightly stale, but it was food nonetheless.

Rain started to pound the ground above us and the wind nearly put my tiny fire out. I huddled closer to the fire and pulled tightly on my blanket. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him scoot closer to me.