A Change of Plans (4)

As we rode towards Isengard, I could tell that Aragorn was on high alert. Before we knew it, an arrow whizzed past us. The entire army went into defense mode and protected the king. We turned Hasufel around and not too far away was a massive army of orcs. Only a few noticed us riding away, but the majority was marching towards Helm's Deep.

Those orcs that did try to attack us were quickly taken out. I had my blades drawn, but never had to use them. I was grateful for that, because my heart was beating out my chest in fear. Only a few men in the small company we rode in died, but the rest were barely scratched.

Théoden called from the head to turn back towards Helm's Deep. Isengard would have to wait until another day. We had to warn the civilians and try to fortify the keep. By the time we arrived, the army itself was still a good distance away from it but they weren't slowing down. They would be here by nightfall.

As we entered the keep, women and children began to swarm us in hopes their sons and husbands were alive. Alas a few did not come back and the screams echoed throughout the stone walls around us. I felt their pain, but knew there would be more to come.

There was a great battle before us and we were not prepared at all. As we rode to the stables, fear and doubt began to fill my heart. There were too few men and many were not trained for a battle. I looked around at the faces near me and all were full of despair.

I grabbed ahold of Aragorn's hand as we followed Théoden to the Hornbug, which was the innermost area of the keep. As we entered I felt the vibe in the room change. I looked up at Aragorn as he looked down at me and knew something was different. He stopped and pulled me aside before any talks of battle planning could be said.

"I want you to help the women and children. As much as I want you by my side to fight, I cannot risk losing you again. I could not bear it," he said as he ran a finger through my loose hair.

"You know I won't do that right? No matter where you go I will be right beside you like glue," I said with a smile.

He shook his head and said, "Yes, I suppose you will be but in this moment I want you in the only place I know is safe. Please listen to me and go to the caves."

Before I could protest, he kissed me and walked away. I wanted to follow him, but he was right. I didn't want to fight with him, so I did as he said and headed back out towards the caves.

I spotted Éowyn helping a mother and child, so I ran over and started to help. She thanked me and told me what else I could do. Before she finished talking to me, I heard my name called. I turned around and there was Boromir. He had a big grin on his face as he ran towards me. He quickly wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly.

"Can't breathe," I said in short breaths.

"I'm sorry. I was worried you wouldn't return, but here you are in one piece," he said as he pulled away from me.

"I died and came back. If I can do it once, I can do it again," I said with a chuckle.

He laughed as well, but I could tell it wasn't a joke for him. I looked around and many of the civilians gave us odd looks. I didn't mind, but our interaction was short. We were needed.

There wasn't much confusion, but there were a lot of worried women and frightened children. As I escorted most of them I would try to ease their minds by telling them some fairytales I knew as a child. It helped some, but it wasn't enough and I figured as much.

As soon as the last civilians were led into the caves, I made sure Boromir and Éowyn were inside before I slipped out. Something inside me called to Aragorn and although I knew I would be safe with the rest, I just couldn't stay put.