Recovering (12)

Aragorn's POV

The battle was over and no matter where I looked, I couldn't find her. She was not on the field and that gladdened my heart, but no one knew where she was inside the city as well. It was like she had completely disappeared.

My search for her would have to wait. There was so much chaos still around me and I needed to help those in the Houses of Healing. I heard that three were in a deep slumber that the hands of the king would wake them.

At first I dared not to enter the city, for I was not king and it would not be right to do as such. But I was convinced the enter, but I wouldn't be treated like a king until I was crowned as such. When I made my way to the first who was asleep, I sat down beside Merry.

He was cold to the touch and breathed very lightly. Pippin had tears in his eyes and feared he would never wake. I looked around and asked one of the ladies to find the plant kingsfoil, as they too did not know it by its proper name.

Time went by and she came back with it as there was little to none left in the city. I quickly chewed it in my mouth and smeared it across his forehead. A few words came to my mind and I said them aloud. His eyes began to flutter and I drew him from the darkness he was lost in.

I then made my way over to Faramir with Boromir at his side. His face was red from weeping, but I assured him it would all be alright. I did exactly as I did with Merry and Faramir too opened his eyes.

At last I made it to Éowyn. She was the hardest to draw out as Éomer stared over my shoulder. It took me longer to find her, but she took my hand and woke before me. The look of shock filled her face, but her brother was there to comfort her.

I stood and made my way out of the house, but before I did a passing glance of black hair caught my attention. I walked back and looked into the room. A lady was attending this person and I couldn't see them, but I was drawn to whoever it was. The lady stood as she saw me and bowed.

"Who is this?" I asked.

She slowly moved aside and said, "She was found in the field. Her wounds are fatal, but she is still breathing."

There she was. The love of my life had been found and now it was up to me to save her. I kneeled before her and chewed what I had left of kingsfoil and began to look for her in the darkness.

Sage's POV

I dreamt of peace. No war, no lingering doom, nothing that could hurt my family or I. I dreamt that I was happy. He was there, holding me close. I felt his warmth surround me as the sun shone down on us.

Then something fell on my face. I looked up to see a storm brewing as rain started to fall down on me. The warmth left and I spun around, looking for where it went. The overlook of Gondor faded into darkness and thunder cracked overhead.

I was scared. I was lost. Where was he?

A bright light shone through the clouds. Its rays landed on the blackness at my feet. I stepped into it and felt the warmth return. I was floating on a cloud.

The cloud moved and I was pulled into a tight embrace. My eyes opened and I took a deep breath. I started to cough as my hair was pushed off of my face. He met my eyes and I instantly knew I was okay. He laid a hand on my face with a tear sliding down his cheek. I reached up and wiped it away.

"I knew you would come back to me," he said with a smile.

"This is one hell of a dream," I said through a hoarse voice.

He laughed and said, "This is no dream. You are alive and we are safe."

My mind started to spin in circles. How in the actual hell did I survive that? I died, I know I did. Thoughts started echoing through my head and I felt myself getting dizzy. A sharp pain in my side distracted me and I turned my attention to it.