Words Not Meant To Be Said (3)

"Who might she be?" asked one of the Hobbits.

I looked behind Aragorn and locked eyes with the one who was speaking. I was already in shock, but this just took it to another level. All four Hobbits sat before me and I couldn't speak.  I looked up at Aragorn and he too was speechless. How do you explain this?

Aragorn then stood and said, "She will be accompanying us."

He then abruptly turned and left. It was just myself and the Hobbits and my heart was racing.

"Where's he going?" asked one of the lighter haired Hobbits.

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. The dirty blonde one gestured to me to come sit and I did so gladly. They all introduced themselves, although I already knew who they were. I then introduced myself.

"I am Sage. I met Strider during my travels and asked to tag along until we reach Rivendell. I hope I am welcome to come with you," I said with a shaky voice.

Pippin smiled and said, "If he trusts you, so shall we."

Then it hit me. How was I here? How am I in a fictional book? This couldn't be real. I had to be dreaming. I slapped myself, but nothing changed. I got a few odd looks, but the Hobbits were still before me. Oh God, this all really happening.

I must have gotten lost in thought, because when I came to there was a small fire before me. Sam, Merry, and Pippin were roasting food just as Frodo came around the corner. They all picked there heads up and I realized what they had done.

"Put it out!" yelled Frodo

He ran over began to stomp out the fire. Everyone was arguing but then went silent as the fire died down. The sound of a high pitched scream rung in our ears and I quickly covered mine. My heart began to pound and I was filled with fear. The wraiths were here and I didn't know what to do. I had no way to defend myself. What could I do to help?

I quickly rummaged through my bag and pulled out my flashlight in hopes the light would scare them off. I also found a pocket knife in case they got too close, but I doubted it would help at all. I slung my bag on my back and took off running towards the top with the Hobbits.

They made a circle in the middle as I walked around them. The wraiths were approaching right in front of me and I was frozen with fear. They quickly encased us and I didn't know what to do. The Hobbits struck out at them and I slowly backed away, fear had taken the best of me. I was a coward at the time a hero was needed.

It wasn't until I saw Frodo fall that I gained my courage. I leaped out of the shadows and stabbed one in the back. I cried out in pain as my whole hand was on fire. It wasn't visible, but it felt as if sparks of electricity were spreading throughout my nerves. I quickly dropped my knife and fell to my knees. Tears formed in my eyes and I bit my bottom lip to stop from screaming more.

I watched through my distorted vision as Frodo suddenly disappear. He had put on the ring and there was nothing more I could do. His injury he would carry for the rest of his life. Just as I was thinking of what would happen to him, he suddenly appeared crying out in pain whilst holding his left shoulder.

A bright light suddenly appeared from beside me and Aragorn charged in. A torch and sword he wielding in either hand. The pain in my hand started to fade as I watched his take on each wraith. I began to crawl to my feet and attempt to help, but I found I had little strength. The screams of the wraiths echoed in the air atop the fallen watch tower.

Sam was the first to Frodo's side as Aragorn chased away the last of the wraiths. They were talking so fast and quietly that I couldn't make out what they were saying, but I assumed it wasn't good. I slowly stood and made my way over to them as Aragorn began to lift Frodo into his arms.