Proving ourselves

*After losing the qualifiers for regionals, everyone is ignoring Richelle and Noah. They think they have got worse at dancing and do not deserve a spot on a troupe. Richelle and Noah prove they do*

15 April 2016
23 March 2020

Amy's PoV
"Richelle...RICHELLE! Stop!"
However she doesn't. She pulls at my arm, her small manicured fingers digging into the skin, pulling me along.
"Not now. Come on! We're nearly there.."
She says forcefully, dragging me closer and closer to the studio. Ugh. What is she doing? I've never seen her act like this before.
"Well can you at least tell me what's so important?"
I ask inquisitively. She doesn't turn. To obsessed with her task to get me into the studio, to even give me a glance. Her grip on my arm tightens as the door to the studio comes into view.
"Just wait! We're nearly there. Soon everything will become clear. Trust me!"
She says quickly. Ugh. Trust her? TRUST HER? How can I 'trust her' when she lost us our only chance of going to regionals. Well....I guess she's not all to blame. I supposed Noah's involved too. It was their duet, I suppose. And...and they did only lose by a mark....But! Still! It was a mark that lost us our chances. That mark put a downer on the whole team. That mark well....made us...well made us umm kind of ignore Noah and Richelle. Don't look at us like that! We are angry. Furious even! So what, if we have been ignoring them. It's not like Richelle actually speaks to us anyway, she is always off somewhere practising. I don't know why. She the best dancer in the studio. Well that's what we thought....now that she lost, we can't be certain. Same with Noah.
"Come on Amy! Just a few more steps.."
She says excitedly. What is she up to? I mean...what's so important about the studio? As we walk through the door to the studio, I suddenly realise that Im not alone.
     There standing around the dance floor, was the rest of A troupe. Grumbling and moaning, they stood restlessly on their feet, arms crossed in front of their chests. I felt the tight grip on my arm loosen as Richelle walks quickly into the middle of the dance floor. What the heck is going on?
"Hey Amy! Come join us.."
Yelled a voice from the sidelines. Piper. Dressed in her usual dance gear, she waved a hand towards me, ushering me to come closer. Walking cautiously around Henry and Latroy, I finally made it to my target.
"Ugh. I can't believe Noah and Richelle dragged us all in here. Can't they see that we are upset with them."
Groaned Sloane, taking a seat on a bench, sneaking a glance towards Noah and Richelle. Wait! So Noah's apart of this too! I quickly turn around on my the ball of my left foot, searching for the bright blonde and her tall companion. After a few minutes I finally spot them. Standing nervously in the middle of the dance floor, whispering to each other.
"What are they up to?.."
I ask out loud, never tearing my eyes away from the couple. They stand close to each other, shoulders touching. Noah leans down to look at Richelle while she looks up. The height difference between them is huge! Almost comedic! I hear a shuffle from behind me.
"Don't know....but I hope it's good! I'm missing out on something important right now..."
Said Sloane distantly. Huh. She sounds sad...I turn my attention back around to face her. She is sitting with her hands clasped on her knees, looking towards something in the distance. Every now and then she would turn her gaze away a slight pink tinge appearing on her cheeks. I wonder what that is all about? I casually follow her gaze, landing upon something surprising. Latroy. What?! Why is she looking at him? Does she.....do you think? No! Ahh! They would be so cute together! I need to speak to her soon but maybe not now...
      I drag my eyes away from Sloane when a voice shouts over the mumbling of voices.
"Guys! GUYS! Shush! We have something to show you...GUYS!"
Yelled Noah, waving his hands frantically in the air. What does he mean by 'show'? I'm confused. I focus my attention back onto Noah, who is trying desperately to get everyone's attention. It was failing. Miserably! No whistle or shout could break A troupe from their mumbling. Well that's what I thought....
"SHHHUUUUTTT UUUUUPPPPP!"
Screamed Richelle, cupping her hands together, using them as a make shift megaphone. Ow! Oh god! That was loud! I wince back slightly, rubbing my ears to ease the pain. Well at least she has got everyone's attention. I watched as she took a step back behind Noah, making him the centre of focus. He started to blush under the gaze of hundreds of eyes. Nervously he scratched the back of his head.
"Umm...thank you..Richelle for doing that.."
He said quietly, looking back at her. She gave him a slight nod, before indicating for him to start again. Noah turned back to us. He coughed before starting again.
"As you might have realised, we have called everyone to the studio"
He said clearly, waving a hand towards everyone. Yes! Yes I did notice. Now if you would kindly tell me why we are here, I would be grateful. I thought frustratingly.
"Well...me and Richelle-"
He pointed a hand towards her. Richelle gave a little wave.
"- we wanted to apologise. We know it was our fault we won't be going to regionals this year.."
He said sullen. Oh! So this is why they called us here. A quiet mumbling came upon the studio, at his words. Everyone saddened deeply at the thought of not being attended regionals.
"Yeah! Yeah your right! It is your fault..."
Said an angry Latroy. He crossed his arms across his chest and set his face hard and stern. I watched as Noah flinched back in sadness. An awkward silence filling the air.
"Dude...we know it's our fault. We're just trying to say sorry.."
Said Noah quietly looking straight at Latroy. He continued.
"And we have. We're sorry! Sorry alright!"
He said exasperated. He opens his mouth to say something before closing it. Suddenly, Richelle comes forward placing a hand on his shoulder. She continues on from where Noah had left of.
"But..but that doesn't mean we aren't angry. You ignored us! Anytime I try to speak anyone, you ignore me. You know how sad that makes me feel. That I'm physically hated by people I thought were my friends. Me and Noah, have literally spent the last week together in one tiny corner of the studio because anytime we go near any of you, you turn away. We know that we messed up. But that's why we called you all here....we want to prove ourselves."
Said Richelle passionately. She has a point...we shouldn't have ignored her or Noah. It was really mean of us...
"How?"
Asks Michelle. They look at her confused.
"How what?"
Said Noah, inquisitively. Michelle rolled her eyes.
"How are you going to prove yourselves?"
She says confidently, crossing her arms in front of her chest. I watched as Noah and Richelle looked at each other before nodding. After a few moments Richelle walked over to the speaker in the corner, plugging in her phone.
"Just watch!.."
Said Noah, giving her a small smile. What? Wait are they? Are they going to do a duet?
     I perked up, leaning forward to get a better view of Noah and Richelle. After the music had been switched on, they quickly rushed to the centre of the studio. Noah wrapped his arm around her waist while she put hers around his neck. One of Richelle's legs was lifted slightly of the ground and was directly in front of Noah's knee. They both faced the mirrors. Are they going to start?
Yep! I watched intensely as they started with a big lift, Noah lifting Richelle onto his shoulders before bringing her gently back down. Woah! When did they learn that? The tempo of the song sped up and I watched as they did some synchronised choreography before going to one corner and flipping in sync to the other side. Feet landing perfectly together and on time. They are amazing! I started to cheer, joining in with a few others. Soon the song started to slow down and then I knew we were coming or the end. After being on opposite sides of the room, doing their own thing, they ran to each other. Noah spun her around before dragging her close to his body, dipping her just as the music stopped. I stay motionless, eyes glued to them, shocked at the duet. I'm wordless. How the heck did they lose when they are that good?
Noah slowly brought Richelle back up, staring deeply into her eyes. They were both breathless, breathing in and out hard. Aw! That's quite cute!
"GUYS! I have some news and it's a good one! Ahh!"
Yelled a voice from the office. Riley. Hey wait! Why wasn't she called into the A studio, like everyone else? Ugh, I suppose it doesn't matter. I watched as she excitedly skipped into the centre of the studio, standing beside a breathless Noah and Richelle. They had finally came apart once Riley shouted. She bounced on her tippy toes, holding something in her hands. Is that an.....envelope? Oh! It is! I can see the stamp in the corner.
"Right I know, everyone is a little upset at the fact that we aren't going to be going to regionals this year. But don't be!"
She said, beaming. She held up the envelope before pulling back one of the flaps and taking out a crisp, white piece of paper. She coughed before starting to read what was on the page.

'Dear Sir/Madam, of the The Next Step Dance Studio. We are place to inform you that your studio has obtained one of eight places for the 19th consecutive Absolute Dance Regionals'

What? OMG! We're going to regionals! I quickly grabbed the person closest to me into a hug, screaming in joy. There was cheers from everyone. Form over Piper's shoulder I could see Noah pick Richelle up, spinning her around and around.
"Guys! GUYS! Wait there is more!"
Yelled Riley over the cheers. We soon settled down and listened intently to what Riley had for say.

'Due to a miscommunication error at the last qualifier. We were unable to count a few votes from the one of our foreign judges and so the votes were unfairly counted and recorded. We are pleased to announce that competitors Noah and Richelle received a score of 96 points, making them the ultimate winners of the competition. We look forward to seeing you dance at soon.
Signed,
Mrs Smylie, CEO of the Absolute Dance Qualifiers'

I can't believe it! So Noah and Richelle did win the completion. That means we've been acting mean to them all week for nothing. I feel guilty. I need to fix this. I walk quickly over to the couple, dodging myself past countless of people hugging. I finally see them standing in the middle of the dance studio in their own little world. They were staring at each other intently, their faces extremely close. Before I know it, they are leaning up and pressing there lips together in sweet harmony. Woah! Are they actually doing what I think there doing? I rub at my eyes before looking again. Nope! Still kissing. I didn't even know liked each other like that. Just woah! I can't help but smile a little.
"Yo Noah! I'm sorry dude for acting so mean I did-woah! Well I can see that your busy..."
Yelled Latroy from his position beside Sloane. Yep definitely busy! They are practically swallowing each other. Well I'm happy they found love with each other. Although I do feel a little lonely....everyone is pairing up. Latroy and Sloane. Noah and Richelle. James and Riley. I'm pretty sure Michelle likes Alfie. Soon I'm going to be the only one without someone to love.
"Hey Amy....want to go to Java junction with me"
Said a voice from behind me. I quickly turned around to come face to face with Henry. Oh! Maybe I won't have to wait that long.

Umm just to let you know, I accidentally uploaded the chapter before because I pressed publish instead of save. So yeah...I'm so clumsy. Sorry for not updating in a while I've kind of focusing on my other book 'I'll help you', I know I haven't updated this in like three weeks though, so I decided I needed to get a chapter out.