Day 141 - Night

"Fuck!" Niall hissed as Harry tightened the wrap around his ankle, a wooden plank acting as a brace for his injury. "Does it have to be so tight? I can barely run as it is!"

"Look," Harry deadpanned. "If you want this to heal anytime soon, I'd suggest you shut up and deal with the pain. Either way, you aren't running because you physically can't. This is what we meant when you said you shouldn't be alone on this fucked-up world. You would be dead if it weren't for us."

"I wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for you idiots!" Niall responded in a distressed yell. His chest heaved up and down as he took deep, calming breaths as he clutched his backpack against his abdomen. Fingers danced up his spine causing him to squeal in fright. Turning his head, Niall found the source of the ticklish sensation.

Zayn's fingers were drenched in blood, Niall reaching behind his back to search for a damp spot in response. Pulling his hand back and to his face, Niall's hand was covered in blood. It must not have been his. It couldn't have been a zombie's though; their blood was rotten brown - borderline black in color. His fingers trembled as he looked to the shocked faces of the boys around him. Before Niall could utter a word, he felt a drop on the back of his neck. Looking up, Niall screamed.

A women's head hung from a hook, face scrunched in one of pain as her matted, tangled hair covered her eyes. Most of the blood had dried, but some drops of the crimson liquid occassionally dripped down and onto Niall. Niall scooted away as one drop of red fell to the floor, splattering against the wood. Niall gulped when he saw the bite marks around the neck area, indicating that either zombies had eaten her whole body as she hung from the ceiling, or she was placed their after being mauled. If it was the second option, Niall didn't want to be there to find out who had done it.

"Oh shit," Louis cursed as he, too, stared at the hanging head.

"I don't like this place. . ." Liam trailed off in thought. Niall couldn't help but to him in agreement. He didn't like this place either - especially at night. Dark places have never been a nice place for him. In the dark was where shadows were hidden securely, ready to pounce on unsuspecting victims. Niall feared the dark, but it seemed as if he had no choice in avoiding it. Darkness was at every corner, twist, and turn.

"C-Can we get out of here?" Niall asked shakily, already attempting to stand up after pulling his backpack on. He used the basball bat as a walking cane, putting all his weight on the metal object. "This just doesn't feel right."

"Leaving so soon?" A deep, haunting voice came from upstairs. "But dinner was just about to be done."

Niall felt his throat tighten as fear choked him. He had difficulty breathing as he leaned against Harry, the closest stable thing, for support. "We're n-not hun-hungry."

"Oh, you won't be the ones doing the eating. I will do the eating. You will be the eaten," The same voice replied, sending chills throughout Niall's petite body.

All five teenagers headed for the front door, only to discover it was locked. Niall panicked, hands beating against the metal door.

Bang!Bang!Bang!

It was no use. The only thing Niall accomplished was throbbing, red fists. He whimpered, slumping fully against Harry in defeat. Harry caught his body, guiding Niall to sit in Harry's lap as they rested in an arm chair. Niall curled up, metal bat cradled in his arms while he was cradled in Harry's.

When he thought about his dying, he'd always imagined something heroic or of old age. He didn't anticipate it to be by living, breathing human cannibals. He only heard of it once, from a passing man in a town far from anywhere and everywhere. People had turned to cannibalism - no better than zombies, Niall thought. No more food meant turn other things into food.

They just happened to be other things.

~.~.~.

Niall was tied up to a wooden chair, placed at the head on the dining table. A women's body was on a platter in the middle of the table, Niall's stomach churning violently. He felt bile rising in his throat, but his mouth was taped shut. Standing next to him was the owner of the haunting voice, an old, plump farmer with stubble and red, curly locks. "So delicious."

Niall whimpered. He knew the old farmer, or Al, as the farmer introduced himself as, wasn't talking about the meal. Al was talking about Niall. The man's beady eyes never left his body, tongue always licking his lips and hands rubbing together. Niall was thoroughly creeped out. "Of course we'll need to plump you up some, but I'll eat all the others first. That should be enough time to get some meat on your bones, little guy."

Niall almost threw up but he swallowed it down, eyes leaking tears when the man's sausage-like fingers caressed his soft, porcelain cheek. "Perhaps you'd be good for something else besides eating. . ."

Niall watched as Liam, Zayn, Louis, and Harry struggled against their restraints, voices muffled by tape as they protested. Niall also protested when the farmer reached for a knife and placed it on his throat. One little slice, and his life would slip away in a pool of red. Instead, the knife moved down, tearing his shirt straight down the middle. His skin was red from the slight pressure put on it, turning even more red as the air cooled his chest.

His past skin was revealed for all to see, making him feel conscious and unsafe. He jerked away as the farmer's tongue licked a stripe up his cheek, collecting his tears. "Yummy."

Niall fought against the rope binding him to the chair, skin burning and raw from rope burn. Evil laughter sounded next to him as Al's mouth widened to keep the obnoxious noise up. All of a sudden, a knife was in the farmer's throat and Niall's hands were freed.

Zayn had managed his way out of the restraints and saved the day. Niall smiled at him in silent thanks. Before long, all of the boys were ransacking the place except Niall, who was ordered to rest on the couch. Thanks to his injury, Niall was deemed even more helpless. Oh joy!

Harry jingled keys in his hands before pressing a button, headlights illuminated the living room's front windows. "Found us a new ride."

Niall was piggybacked by Louis to the truck, placed into Liam's lap again because of limited space. He was handed his trusty metal baseball bat but not his pistol. Niall sighed at that.

Together, they drove far away from the farm house and field of cows, heading nowhere. It didn't really matter the destination anymore; as long as it was safe from zombies and crazy people alike, it would be good enough. Although, Niall can't help but hope that there would be a dentist there. These braces were killing him!

---------

Thoughts so far? Are you enjoying the story? :D