Day 78

Even in the zombie apocalypse, it is possible to have fun. This statement is proven by the fact that a fully functional amusement park is my and Greg's rest stop for the next few days. Besides, it wasn't like we had anywhere else to go or anything else to do. . .

The sky was turning from its usual gray to a plethora of pinks and purples when we first caught a glimpse of a ferris wheel in the distance.

A whole day of walking nowhere in particular, and we stumbled upon a fucking amusement park. I guess it made some sort of sense; the road we were traveling along was the type that nobody used without a reason - an amusement park. There was probably nothing else for miles around.

I almost laughed out loud when I saw the roller coaster track swerve and spiral down to the ground, the air completely silent when it should have been filled with carnival music and screams of laughter.

I looked at Greg with a lopsided grin and a mischievous look in my eyes. "Can we go?" I asked, my voice high in anticipation for his answer. I was bouncing on my toes as I jumped around Greg like an overexcited child who had been told that they were going to Disneyland.

"Hell yeah!"

Like fools, we tried to race each other to the park. It was probably about three miles away, and we were not in the best of shape nor were we pumped with adrenaline. After six minutes had passed, Greg and I were doubled over, panting like exhausted dogs.

"Why are we idiots?" I wheezed out between a laugh and a choke. Greg shrugged his shoulders before standing up straight.

"Let's just try to get there before sundown."

An hour had passed before we even made it to the gates of the old park. It was creepy how silent and dark it was inside, only the whistle of the wind blowing through seemingly empty buildings overpowered the sound of our breathing. The gate was locked with thick metal chains and several locks without keys. I guess it was a good thing I could fit between the bars, and Greg could climb the fence.

"I say we find the switch that lights this place up, and have some real fun!" Greg said in a sort of excitement I hadn't seen since Doomsday happened.

We jogged to a building on our right, seeing STAFF written in big, bold, and fading letters. Upon seeing another lock on the door, I turned to Greg. "I don't suppose you have a key?"

Greg rolled his eyes before picking up a metal toolbox and smashing it against the lock. One. . . two. . . three tries before the lock fell to the ground in broken pieces.

He kicked the door open, gun pointed towards the dark abyss inside, eyes surveying. His hand felt along the wall on our left for the light switch. I heard a series of clicks, nothing happening. "Man, there isn't even power in the buildings. We'll have to find a generator or something."

I grabbed a flashlight from my backpack's side pocket, the beam of light reflecting against an old,  cracked fun house mirror.  Stepping in front of it, the image was so distorted, I couldn't tell it was me staring back at me. Shivers ran down my back.

"Did you find anything, Greg?"

My question was met with silence. I turned around to find him gone. Panic seized me by the throat, choking jumbled words out as I struggled to call for my brother.