Day 35

The sun shone brightly down on us, which was a rare occurrence in the desolate area my family had took refuge in. The sky was cloudless, and wind blew cold air across our faces. My nose scrunched when the wind scarried a putrid scent with it: death.

Greg and dad stilled their movements, causing me to stop in my tracks unlike mom who kept her quick stride. "Maura, stop!"

By the time dad shouted the words to his wife, - my mom - a zombie had ambushed her from the tall grass, sinking its rotten jaws into her tender flesh. In seconds, half of her throat was gone, and the zombie lay dead with a bullet wound in its forehead. Mom gasped for air, her skin taking on a green hue. I threw up twice, having to keep my eyes away from my mom's changing body.

Slowly and cautiously, my dad made his way over, carefully crouching down to help her. Greg's arm wrapped around my shoulder in a sidehug, undoubtedly sensing I needed the comfort. We watched in horror as mom bit dad on the wrist, his skin going pasty before morphing into green, decaying flesh. Together, just as any other couple would do, they headed toward us as fast as their rotting legs allowed.

I could barely register the movement of Greg throwing me over his shoulder as we ran away from them - our parents. I wanted to throw up for a third time, but there was nothing left in my stomach. I was dry heaving as Greg guided us out of the field we had been crossing and onto a long stretch of paved road. "North or south?"