Day 18 - Night

The candles burned bright, flames flickering and casting an orange glow on our faces. Mom and dad were cuddled together while Greg kept watch through the window. I was swaddled in a blanket, the night air cold and unrelenting.

There was an announcement broadcasted over the radio that planes would be flying from Ireland to England starting tomorrow, and we were in a building outside of the airport, waiting for morning to come. There was a crowd around the gates to the airport, but my parents just ushered us into a building for the night.

It was safer here and considerably warmer than the outside. I was still cold though. Cold and scared.

Outside, people shook the gates like wild animals in a cage. I couldn't see them, not from where I was laying down in the corner, but I could hear them loud and clear. The rattling of metal bars, the shouts of desperation and anger, the wailing of little children, and the suppressed groans of the bitten. All that noise, it wouldn't be long until zombies came to inspect.

People screamed when the first dead moan rang through the air, followed by footsteps and cries of the trampled innocents. I could hear the tearing of limbs and gunshots, the bodies dropping, and the indistinct sound of  knocking at the door. "Help! Let me in!"