Day 211 - Night

Niall was mad for several reasons. One: the boys left him at the mall. Two: the boys trapped him at the mall. Three: the boys had been gone for two hours.

He sighed to himself as he surveyed the strangers' camp from the mall's rooftop. Sure enough, those four idiots had gotten themselves captured. His boyfriends were tied up, side by side near the a cage which, to Niall's horror, was filled with zombies. The worst part was that the zombies' flesh was so rotten and cut up from the strangers' pokers, it fell to the floor of the cage in heaps.

Niall felt bad for his boyfriends but not too bad; they did pile a bunch of stuff outside the mall's entrance to keep him here. Technically, it was their fault he couldn't immediately save them. The mostly brunette decided it would be best if he waited for nightfall, so he could use the cover of darkness to his advantage.

He memorized the layout of the camp; vehicles parked in a circle, the cages positioned outside of the vehicle barrier, fire in the middle, and the strangers taunting a chained-up zombie with their metal rods. It seemed like the zombies were some sort of protection, which confused Niall. Those strangers knew something he didn't, and Niall wasn't sure he liked that.

~.~.~.

With night coming quickly, Niall went to the entrance to scope out the barricade outside the door. Upon further inspection and a few pushes, he realized that he wouldn't be able to make it through. Damn bastards. . .

Niall went back up on the roof to collect his quiver, backpack, and flashlight. He looked through the binoculars again and saw his boyfriends' figures in the shadow of one of the vehicles. The strangers were gathered around the campfire, laughing and drinking something out of a jug. Niall's eyes went wide when he spotted the pile of firearms near the now fully dead chained zombie.

Dread settled in his gut, but it was his duty as their boyfriend to try protect them as much as they kept him safe. With his broken ankle, it would be harder, but Niall was used to balancing on one foot while swinging his metal baseball bat down with all his might. Maybe he could pull this off after all. . .

Before heading all the way down to the first level of the shopping center, Niall took out his notebook and added the tick mark for Day 211. It could quite possibly be his last entry, but a good one nonetheless. Could be a good thing though, he thought. He was starting to run out of space for his entries; he wrote more of them ever since he met the boys.

On his way back to the entrance, he stopped at the D-I-Y store to pick up a brick. He threw it threw a display window in the front, breaking more of the glass with his bat before crawling through. Just to make sure no zombies could crawl inside while he was gone, the mostly brunette pushed an empty portable dumpster in front of the gaping hole. It would do.

He flicked his flashlight on, walking along the edge of the road until he was close enough to hear the guttural laughter of the strangers and the low moaning of zombies. He crept closer, moving towards the place he was sure his boyfriends were held captive in. He saw their hunched over forms near a cage, half-asleep he hoped. 

He sprinted over to them noiselessly, shaking their shoulders gently to rouse them. Suddenly, the zombies in the cage became lively, groaning and clawing through the cage. Niall realized he didn't have much time as he desperately tried to untie Harry's knot. "Just loosen it, love. I'll take it from there while you run." He ordered quietly. "Go!"

Niall didn't want to, but he knew not to argue at a time like this. He ran back into the tall grass just as one of the strangers came to investigate.

"Oi, shut up ya rotten bastards!" The brute growled at the zombies before jabbing them with his poker. He turned to Niall's boyfriends, pointing the the metal rod at them pejoratively. "What did you do to 'em?"

"Nothing," Zayn replied, impervious to the stranger's threats.

"I don't believe you. The zombies don't move around unless they see their food moving," Niall watched as all four of his boyfriends shrugged their shoulders in response to the brute's accusation. "Someone was here, I see footprints. . . Let the dogs out!"

At the man's shout, Harry jumped up and swiftly knocked the brute out with one punch. Niall could hear rattling as the strangers began letting the zombies out of their cages. Luckily, Harry had managed to untie all the rest of their knots, and the boys were heading to the pile of firearms. Except Louis who went straight for his flamethrower.

Niall had a few zombies to fend off on his own, so he couldn't help his boyfriends at the moment. His flashlight and bat both served as weapons as he swung his arms around to bash oncoming zombies' faces in. Blood splattered everywhere, which was usual but still unsettling. It wasn't as hard as Niall thought, seeing as the zombies were hardly able to move much on account of how little flesh they had left.

Niall turned in horror to see his boyfriends at gunpoint while pointing their own guns at the strangers. It wasn't a draw though; the boys were outnumbered. Niall would have to change that. It was mere luck that Niall was still undetected by the other strangers, so he used it to his advantage as he aimed an arrow at one of their heads. Niall paused. He didn't want to kill anyone who hadn't already been dead, so instead he lowered his aim to their hand and let the arrow fly.

By the time a scream was let out, he was aiming at another hand and letting go. Steadily, the odds were evening out, but by then, he was having to dodge bullets aimed in his general vicinity. With the strangers distracted, the boys began to shoot at their feet and guns - Louis obviously holding back on the fire. . . for now at least.

Not long after, the strangers surrendered.

Louis released a stream of fire to intimidate them further, accidentally setting one of the vehicles on fire. The impending explosion persuaded the boys to run away quickly, Liam staying behind to apologize and warn the strangers to never come back before following after. The sound of engines starting up and yelling trailed behind the running group of boys before the explosion happened.

"What the hell, Lou?" Niall exclaimed when the ringing in his ears died out. They were in the parking lot at that point, recovering from their five minute run.

"It was an accident," The boy rolled his eyes, petting his flamethrower as if Niall had hurt its feelings. "Sometimes she just gets excited."

"Moving on to the other idiots," Niall sighed before bringing his attention to all four of them. "Why the hell would you go without me and why the hell did you get caught?"

"It's complicated," Harry started.

"We didn't know they set up the zombies like an alarm system, and we didn't expect them to have so many weapons," Zayn explained.

"And it's a good thing we didn't bring you along. You saved us for a change," Liam smiled, bringing the mostly brunette closer to him. Niall blushed as Liam pushed their bodies flush together, kissing him as if Liam would never get to again.

"That dumpster wasn't there before, was it?" Niall heard Harry ask aloud.

Niall broke Liam's kiss as laughter bubbled out of his mouth. "I threw a brick through the window," He confessed sheepishly. Upon receiving only wide-eyed looks, he added, "Don't barricade the door then!"

----------------------------

Ya'll ain't gonna be ready for the next update js

anyway, thoughts on the chapter?