tour

Dan POV

-

"Dan, I saw what you did down on Earth yesterday."

It's those words that cause me to halt my steps. That cause me to turn around. That cause me to attempt to keep my expression neutral while on the inside I was considering going to live with the cruds instead of having to deal with what I was going to hear next.

But why had I expected anything else? The Senders saw everything, and in no way had I thought that something like this would get past Connor. Whatever weird spell or trick or move I had pulled yesterday with those cruds, it wasn't something that could just happen. It wasn't something that could be put aside. Whatever I'd done had been power.

In my eighteen years of being in Hell, never once had I heard of or seen something like this. I was quite young compared to others, but if something like this was a normal occurrence or had happened once before I would have known about it.

"I know," I replied to Connor, unsure of what else I was supposed to say. I knew he'd seen, I knew I'd done something insane. But I didn't know how, or what.

"'I know?' Is that all you have to say?" He questioned, but he didn't say it menacingly as one normally would. He sounded like he pitied me, almost.

"What else do you want me to say? I don't know what happened. I didn't mean for it to happen. I didn't know I had that much... power. And I don't know why I do. But I do know that you saw, and that all of the higher-ups already know about it." I stated, crossing my arms over my chest so that he couldn't tell that I actually felt vulnerable at the moment. Demons can only sense fear; and luckily that wasn't what I was feeling.

I could remember clearly what had gone down yesterday after I'd caught the bar on fire. I'd watched as humans let out screams and started running, my eyes widening and head pounding as I'd turned and shaken Troye and PJ so that we could leave and continue the mission.

Even if I was still a bit shaky because of the incident, I did successfully manage to pinpoint two humans that caught my attention, the three of us immediately going on the search to figure out where they lived so that we could find them again the next day. And with that, we'd returned home.

I hadn't given anyone any time to question me before I was running home.

However, I hadn't been able to avoid Connor today, because he'd caught me while I was walking down to the Find Headquarters, and now I was forced to stand here explaining something that I couldn't explain.

"I called Tyler," He informed me, as if he hadn't heard anything I'd said just then. "He'll be down here any min-"

"I'm here," Came the voice of Tyler himself before I had a chance to respond to Connor's words. We both turned and there he was, light brown hair and glasses, intimidating no matter how short he was, a clipboard tucked under his arm and an threatening tenseness to his features. "Daniel, we have things we need to discuss, but for now I thought I'd inform you of what many of the higher ups have been thinking about your stunt yesterday." He declared as I cringed at the use of my full first name. Dumb higher ups always doing stuff like that just to prove that they know they're better than you. I liked Tyler, he was nicer than most, and he always seemed to be looking out for me, but still.

I brushed it away, instead focusing on his words about how they'd been discussing me. Was it really that big of an issue?

Connor moved away from me to stand next to Tyler. "They've decided they want you to come with the Orators to the meeting we have with the angels today."

My jaw dropped. I was just a petty old Finder; why in Hell did they want me to go to a meeting between Heaven and us? Was it because of yesterday? What did me accidentally setting a building on fire have to do with angels?