fond

Dan POV

-

I did not know what had caused me to engage in a conversation with Phil. I didn't think I ever would.

Standing there with him, in my territory after having not seen him for two months; it brought out some kind of vulnerability within me. I hadn't known I had any of that, but seeing him again after I'd told him to leave had easily proved me wrong. I hadn't really wanted him to leave me alone.

I knew he didn't hate me. Angels couldn't feel hate, and even if they did, it would never compare to the level of hatred a demon could feel, like what I'd felt for him that first meeting.

I respected that he had stopped trying when I'd told him to. But it dawned on me that that was not what I wanted. I wanted to talk to him, and I wanted to try and be nice with him. Maybe not friends, but not enemies either.

Phil was... like me, if that was an appropriate way to put it. He was everything I never expected an angel to be: sarcastic, intense, brave. I'd thought that I was annoyed about this, but in reality, he mystified me, and he made me want to talk to him. There was no hatred in my emotions when I looked at him now; if I had to call it anything I'd say curiosity.

We reminded me of Tyler and Korey; they weren't exactly friends, since there would always be disagreements between angels and demons, but they were fond of each other. I wasn't sure that Phil was fond of me, but something about him made me feel that way towards him.

It was a bit strange of me to actually attempt to be kind to someone, when normally all I did was lash out at those that weren't Troye, PJ, and sometimes Tyler. It was in my nature; it was in our nature. All of us. The bad ones.

I didn't know how many times I would say it. He was different.

Due to the new rule that we needed to kill the cruds, that job was given to us Finders and the Drifters. It was a bigger priority for them, however. This also meant that we were able to stay on Earth longer for both our jobs, and I accidentally found myself hoping that I would run into Phil. Earth was so big that I doubted it, but there was always a chance. I wanted to hate myself for wanting to talk with him and possibly become some type of friends. It was just a thing that didn't happen, but I wanted it to.

I wondered what he thought about me.

I lucked out one day, around four days after the encounter at home, when I was wandering in a small village somewhere in Asia and saw an angel. I pondered over why the Hell I considered this a good thing when the last time I'd been cursing every single thing in the universe for causing me to have a conversation with Phil. But when I saw his black hair and blue eyes and pale skin this time, I had to fight a smile.

What the Hell was happening to me?

"Hello, stranger," I greeted him, mocking the way he had greeted me during his and Korey's trip to Hell.

I noticed a smile find his lips, but it wasn't an obnoxious angel smile. He almost seemed like he was just a human, a mix of good and bad, everything he did a bit muted compared to others. "Hi, Dan." I also noticed that this was the first time he'd said my name without any snarkiness in his tone, simply speaking a real greeting. "How have the last four days been?"

I shrugged, and crossed my arms over my chest as he stepped closer to me. "Oh you know," I could feel sarcasm dripping from my tongue, "just the usual. Killing the innocent."

Phil rolled his eyes. "I expected an answer no different," He informed me.

"You?" I asked.

"Saving the innocent," He replied, his eyes sparkling. "Seriously, though, it's been fine. I hope all of this crap ends soon enough and life can go back to the way it always was."