strong

Phil POV

-

I was glad to have given Dan my ring.

I would probably end up telling him the story of how I got it, but not any time soon. It wasn't that exciting, just a little strange, and I was glad that the demon didn't make me feel obligated to tell it.

I really hoped that it made a difference, too. I wanted to help Dan as much as I could, and if giving him something that could act a substitute for me could aid me in that, then that was what I would do. I knew that demons couldn't feel sentimental; that was why I didn't expect him to get attached to the object. I only hoped that he would use it when it was needed.

My own life was going fairly well. As I balanced farming with organizing with meeting with Dan, I seemed to get more important, in a sense. A lot of angels looked at me the way I used to look at Korey: with respect. I had to resist beaming every time I looked in the mirror, unfolded my wings, and they took up over half the room.

Sometimes, I felt bad speaking with Louise since it wasn't like it used to be. Now, she seemed a little jealous of how high up I'd gone, while she had remained a Habitant. I considered giving Korey a good word about her; I hated that our conversations didn't flow and that all she seemed to do was scold me for not acting like a proper angel. I would like it if we worked together. I didn't want to lose my longest friend, the one who had always made me feel like a real angel and who would never reveal anything I told her to anyone else. Despite my friendship with Dan, Louise had been here longer; even if these days I told Dan more than I told her.

It had been three days since I'd last seen Dan, and about a week since I'd given him my ring. The first night where we hadn't spoken had been my fault, but then he hadn't shown up for two days straight. I was hoping to see him today to get some answers, although I wouldn't push if there were details he didn't want to elaborate on.

That morning, Korey pulled me aside by my arm while I was in the middle of shuffling through some files. It seemed urgent, so I allowed him to bring me to a more secluded area.

"What's wrong?" I questioned when no one was listening, wondering what had him so anxious looking. He always looked anxious, but never while telling me something important.

Korey took a deep breath, and then he smiled widely. "Nothing much; I just wanted to ask why your quota is dropping a little. Usually I can count on you for the highest numbers." I swallowed roughly, knowing what my truthful answer was. The truth was that I spent too much time talking to Dan, thinking about Dan, or doing things for Dan. My job had become very important to me lately, and I suppose that the slacking I was doing had completely flown over my head. I immediately scolded myself; I couldn't let whatever feelings I had for a demon get in the way of how much I had worked myself up as an angel. I could not let my wings get smaller. That was one thing I would never let occur no matter what situation I got myself into.

"It's probably because I take a similar route every day. I tend to stick to less concentrated areas, but I'll head to the cities today and in the future. I can create a rotation. Sorry for slacking," I stated all of this very formally, and I was sure the other angel found it a bit strange. Luck came my way, however, when he nodded. That was all I needed: him to believe me.

"I don't want you going as long today, though," Korey explained, and I furrowed my eyebrows. I wanted to object and tell him that he couldn't force me to stay here, but his wings were still larger than mine which meant he held authority over me. I forced myself to nod, not responding to him as I turned and began flying back towards Louise's house in hopes she would be outside.

She was, and I smiled softly as I landed right beside her; I expected her to jump but she didn't, simply looking at me from the corner of her eye as she continued to count the amount of carrots in her basket. "What were you up to?" She questioned, eyeing where I had come from. Korey wasn't there anymore.