ponder

Phil POV

-

The next day was a weird one.

Even if mostly uneventful, it was weird.

I couldn't stop thinking about the events of yesterdays meeting with Hell. I couldn't stop remembering how I'd spoken up; I never had been someone to say a lot or even show anyone that I genuinely had my own opinions.

It had been that demon, Dan; it was his fault.

Everything he'd said had been so ignorant; even his voice was stupid and his dumb hair which was way too similar to mine for my liking. His ugly clothes and idiotic voice, low as if he was trying to convince me what he was saying was right. He most definitely wasn't right; he was wrong in a way so wrong it was hard for most people to achieve. I couldn't believe that the demons on the other side were actually as bad as the stories I'd heard.

That's why I'd spoken up. That's why I'd exited my comfort zone with no hesitation.

I'd always felt that it was necessary to do what was right when you could. Maybe that's why I'd made it to Heaven, and maybe it's why he didn't.

Even if I wasn't like the other angels, I still understood what was good and what was bad. Louise had always said I was the type that seemed sweet and quiet but could easily get angry and, in her words, scary if it involved something I was generally passionate about. It used to weird her out, the fact that I was an angel and yet I could get mad and punch a wall if I had to. Just like how demons lost their humanity, we lost our inhumanity and everything bad about us when we walked through the Admission Gates. Maybe something had gone wrong with me.

No matter. I was still a really good person.

At the moment, everyone was on edge. Due to the meeting with the demons yesterday, there was anger boiling between our two stances. The thing with us angels was that fighting was our last choice when it came to ways to fix an issue, and for demons, it was their first. Korey, Alfie, Louise, and I had discussed how we suspect that the demons are attempting to take all the humans so that they're the most powerful. When I mentioned what the Dan one had said, about how they've been doing it forever, I couldn't help but notice the sudden, very nervous glint in Korey's eyes at that name.

"It doesn't matter what.. Dan.. said!" He exclaimed, his cheeks reddening. "There's a reason we're right, and it's because we made it to the right place! There's a reason we're here and they're there."

We all nodded sternly, knowing that disagreeing with Korey would not lead to anything good.

No one was allowing themselves to get angry, because, once again, we're angels. We don't get angry. Except me, apparently. While my neck was burning and my head felt hot with heavy irritation, everyone else that I saw just seemed to look nervous. I pushed away the inflamed feelings treacherously churning inside of me, deciding to try and be scared. Of course I didn't want a war, we'd made it through half of the year without one, which was a new record.

It was possible for an angel or a demon to be killed by the other. It was possible for us to be killed by our own kind, too, but that never happened up here. For some reason, I didn't doubt that it did happen there. 

Demon death was full of rumors; no angel really knew what happened, and the demons hadn't ever told any of us. I thought they should reincarnate like us: most of them deserved a second chance, and even if they didn't exactly deserve it, maybe they could make their soul better in the next time they got to live.

Lucky for everyone in the afterlife, a demon had never killed an angel. Vice versa as well; that would be terrible. Impossible, probably, with how intense both of us were, it would be an eternal battle. That war would be worse than any of the thousands of wars Heaven and Hell had dealt with in the past. The demons probably wouldn't care if we killed one of them, but if one of them killed one of us, I knew that we would care a whole lot and surely our leader, if he existed, would get into it. That was something I did not want to see; I doubted Korey would be able to handle something like that, either, even if he was able to handle a lot. I mean, he handled the second command of hell, that Tyler guy, and they even seemed fond of each other. It was weird, but there was no use questioning anything those higher than me did. I had no idea how someone as nice and powerful as Korey could be kind like he was to that demon. But with how many times there had been the requirement for Heaven and Hell to work together, I supposed that with the many years between them, those times overruled the multiple, multiple times there had been bickering and violence.