strange

Dan POV

-

Despite everything, Phil still made me happy.

I didn't really understand how it was possible. How I could smile as he booped his nose in my direction in a secret gesture, how I could laugh at his nerdiness no matter how many worries and regrets were churning inside of me just like the flames inside of my eyes. He was keeping me grounded, reminding me that he was there. It wasn't only his angelic tendencies tying him to me, but commitment and the strength of some sort of love. I understood, no matter how difficult it was for me to do so, that he loved me. That he would do nearly anything for me. And I understood that I would do the exact same for him.

It had now been two days since the meeting. This meant two I love you's stated with I'll see you, two mornings where I woke up afraid and had to stay in my bedroom until the feeling left me. Two full days of Tyler not confronting me, and every little thing making me jump because of it.

Why isn't he asking me about it? I asked internally each time he walked by, his eyes focused somewhere in the distance, seemingly purposely ignoring my presence.

I attempted to convince myself that he had forgotten, that he was plagued with too many political worries to focus on the fact that I was horribly slacking on my work. But the idea that he was simply ignoring me made me worried that I would continue to be ignored. I had an irrational fear that Tyler had now decided I was worthless, and had indirectly fired me from doing the job I was made to do, the one job I'd been given when my life had been drained from me.

On the third day of all of this occurring, I went to Earth without a solid reason to. I was sure Tyler knew I traveled here every day instead of remaining in the offices making up for my mistakes, and yet I went anyway. I went to breathe in clear Earth air because the air in Hell was a little too filled with dirt for me to handle; I went to hug my angel and breathe in the scent of his comfort that told me, assured me that everything would be okay as long as I had him and my strength.

That day, I didn't expect Phil to show up; Korey had given him so much work along with stress that I knew there was a lot he had to take care of up in Heaven.

To my surprise, around three hours into me sitting down by the water with my thoughts muddled, he showed up. I spied his wings gliding above the air from across the lake, his white, gleaming form growing closer and closer. After a few seconds, I could make out his face, a small smile present there, and then, very quickly, he was in my arms. It was more like I was in his, as he fell to wrap his legs around my waist where I sat, his arms and wings proceeding to envelop my torso and shoulders.

"I wasn't going to come today because I can't stay long," He mumbled into my neck, his warm breath softly washing over my skin there. His chin pressed against my skin, though I didn't mind.

"Why did you?" I replied quietly, my entire demeanor a million times less anxious and tense due to his arrival and his touch. His wings brushed up and down against my back.

Phil sighed, but it was a happy sigh. "I wanted to see you," He stated simply. "You cloud my mind like a thunderstorm."

"That was lame," I laughed, even if there was a blush on my face. "But me too."

Silence followed, the only sounds around us the water lapping against the shore, our breaths in sync. These sounds were common, since we were so comfortable in silence. Sitting in each other's arms made up for any of the speaking we may have had to do. I decided against saying anything about my current worries. They were worse than they had been the day before, but Phil seemed happy today, and I didn't want to ruin that.