Chapter 3

"Have you no hope at all? And do you really live with the thought that when you die, you die, and nothing remains?" —Albert Camus

3

She's weird.
She's strange.

At least that was what he thought. When she ran outside, sobbing and shaking, he stood up and was about to go after her, as if it's his natural instinct.

"Ako na." He heard Billy say. The only thing he did was nod his head and go back to his seat, he was left wandering what is it with that girl. She seems... broken.

The program continued amidst the drama he just witnessed a while back. Looking at his cousin smile and laugh the way he does right now, he couldn't help but feel jealous.

Vice has long accepted that true love was not for him. Lucky are those, with the same gender identity as his, who have already found theirs. He got so used to having flings and making out with different men every night on different parts of the world. But that's just it. He never really wanted to enter a serious relationship. He doesn't do boyfriends, it's just not his thing anymore.

The after-party started, his favorite part in any event he attends. So he got up to get himself a drink to start enjoying. But maybe not on this one. Not after he sees a familiar face approaching him.

"Finally, I knew you could look decent."  A stern voice held out.

"Let's give this day to Ferdinand. I'll go ahead." Sagot ni Vice.

"Ganyan ka na ba talaga kabastos? Your mother has been calling you since last night, hinihintay niya ang pagdating mo. Hindi mo man lang sinasagot ang mga tawag niya. Ni hindi mo kami magawang lapitan ngayon. Bakit? Kasi ikaw mismo ikinakahiya mo ang sarili mo? Ang kapal kapal pa ng mga kolorete mo sa mukha, hindi ka na nahiya!" Galit na tugon nito, almost getting the attention of all the guests.

Ngumisi si Vice. He let out a chuckle. "I missed you too, dad. And yes, I'm fine, I'm doing well. Now if you please excuse me." At tinalikuran na nga niya ito.

"You really are a disgrace in this family! Stop dragging the name Viceral down with you!" And with that people started to stare. The bride and the groom asked to stop the music.

"Dad!" A woman of her 60's approached the man, stopping him from making a scene.

"Nice to see you here too." Sagot ni Vice as he gave one last glance to his parents.

"I'm sorry!" He added, smiling at Vhong and Anne. "Come on DJ, music." He said then he continued walking not minding the stares he was receiving.

It felt so relieving when he got out of that place. He got himself a bottle of tequila and gave a hundred dollar to the server who protested when he got a hold of it. Wala pa pala siyang Philippine peso on his pocket.

He was just walking along the shore looking for a perfect spot to sit in and relax, far away from all the noise and the people, when he saw someone in the water, it was already dark and she, yes it's a she, was already getting into the deep part. For some reasons, he felt very scared. What is she doing? What was she thinking? he thought.