session.

"Okay, Stephen. How are you feeling?" Doctor Jenkins asks, looking at him warily.

"I'm good, yeah." Wardell tries to avoid his gaze as much as possible.

"Mhm," the doctor hums. "Are you taking your meds?"

He nods hesitantly as he lies, "Yeah."

Doctor Jenkins writes it down on a paper. "Any signs of progress?"

"No. Look, why can't I still remember everything?" Wardell suddenly snaps. He didn't mean to sound rude, but it has been months and his memories are still missing.

The doctor sighs. Here we go again. "Stephen, the accident caused you subdural hematoma and it would take a while to get your memories back. You can't force it. What we have to focus first is your physical condition."

But that's what he actually he hates—his physical condition. He feels as useful as a rag doll. He isn't really limp, but his motor neurons tend to send messages late. He's having a hard time gripping on things, but that one's already progressing—he can now write his name again. Still, it isn't enough to be able to play basketball again. All he does is watch his friends play his 'favorite' sport; he doesn't even remember that he plays ball. Worse? He has erectile dysfunction. That's why Wardell doesn't feel like a true man. Pieces of his sexuality is missing.

"Please don't ever skip your medications, Stephen," Doctor Jenkins almost begs.

--

Wardell walks out of the clinic, seeing Stef waiting for him outside.

She immediately stands up as soon as she sees him.

"You're here?" he asks, bewildered. He didn't go with her, so how did she know he was here?

And as if reading his thoughts, she answers, "I asked your mom."

He's just so surprised. "She knows you?"

Stef displays a wry smile. "Of course, she does."

Who is this girl? He feels frustrated that he can't place her in his head, but she looks like she's an important person in his life.

Wardell decides to head back home and they walk together through it. He can't believe he's starting to appreciate her presence. She says a lot of things, makes a lot of snarky remarks, always playful, and never silent. And she's just so independent that it fascinates him.

"Seriously, no one likes me," she rambles as they walk along the street. "They think I'm too small, unathletic, and average."

He furrows his eyebrows. "But you're so attractive."

For real. Her hazel eyes are so mesmerizing.

"One day, someone will notice what I have and he'll be lucky to take me," she says smugly.

He smiles and shakes his head. She's an airhead sometimes, it's the only problem with her.

While they walk, she takes out a pack of cigarettes and yanks one out. She places it in between her mouth before offering the box to him.

He merely shakes his head. "Nah, I don't smoke."

"You sure?" She smiles mockingly. "Alright, then."

Stef lights her cigarette and takes a drag and he watched as she inserts her red lighter back on her pocket.

By the time they reach his house, she stops at the porch.

"You wanna go inside?" he asks politely.

She only shakes her head. "I'm good."

He looks back at the door to hold the knob and when he turns, Stef's already gone. It's so weird how she's so fast to disappear like that.

Wardell enters his house and quickly goes upstairs to his bedroom. He just really wants to rest.

He immediately locks the door and takes off his shirt. He unzips his pants until he feels something on his pocket.

He takes it out.

And he's holding a red lighter.

--
just a heads up, stephen isn't schizophrenic in this tho (: