Chapter 9 (Radish Fiction Version)

April braced herself from the coldness that had always permeated the air in my presence. "Why did you not warn me?" This time she was brave enough to meet my stare. "Why did you will me to follow him to that dark place?"

I took a deep breath and exhaled a chill that could prick even the dead. I watched her glide backwards as I took a step towards her. "Why did I will you?" My voice remained expressionless, but it could still send shivers down someone's spine–dead or alive.

April had now realised that she had asked the wrong question to the wrong being. She looked away, and kept her gaze on Kurt instead.

"I do not will anyone to their deaths." My gaze on her became sharper and she felt it. She was afraid. "No transcendent being wills a human to its death." I pointed squarely at her. "You, insolent imbeciles, are the ones who stir yourselves towards your own destiny! The choices you make will you to a path that can either lead you to your preservation or your demise."

April jerked her head back to me, startled with the revelation. "My choices?"

"Choices," I repeated icily. "One of the many things that make your kind special." Her eyes narrowed in confusion. "One of the reasons why you are different from other living creatures on earth. You have the power to make a decision amidst the many options that are presented to you. You are not solely bound by the instinct to survive. Unlike animals. Although with this ability, you are bound by accountability." A deeper frown fell on April's face. "Surprised with one of the many secrets of life and death? Mind you, this is not new. Many enlightened ones have revealed this. It is such a shame that only a few listen." I leaned back, amused at her expression–a blend of confusion, fury and regret.

I saw her anger surface. "Are you saying my death is my fault?" she yelled.

"The choices that you made in your life willed you to a path that has lead you to your demise," I repeated to her slowly.

"So you're saying that this is all my fault?" she gestured around her.

I smiled at her. "Your parents decided to divorce when you were fourteen. You had the choice to accept the reality that the relationship between your mother and father can not be. You were old enough to understand that. Or, you could rebel against them. You chose rebellion. Your path of rebellion opened you to more choices. You had the option to better yourself at school and follow rules that could have lead you to a brighter form of independence; away from the sadness of a broken family. Or, demonstrate this rebellion in the form of unacceptable social behavior. You chose the latter. You stopped school. Caused your mother and father grief. You chose to be destructive with your relationships with people.

"You had the comfort of a loving home. It may not be complete but you were surrounded by a forgiving family. You knew that they only wanted what was best for you. You chose to move out and live with friends so no one can tell you what you can or can not do. You wanted independence from the rules.

"In spite of everything, you managed to get a job. You got some decent money. Met decent people. You chose to skip a day's work to go to a party. In that party, you met a man who offered you drugs. You had the choice to say 'no' and walk away. You chose to stay and taste the poison that became an extension of you. You leeched on to it.

"When your family found you, they welcomed you back home with open arms. Your father paid for all the medical help and rehabilitation you so badly needed to give you a second chance in life. You were clean. You were doing okay for a while until you bumped into an old friend. You had the choice to walk away but you chose to secretly meet with this friend and started drugs again. Then you met Kurt. Your mother had found out that you were back on drugs. She knew that while you were with this scumbag"–I paused, nodding towards Kurt who was still staggering in the middle of the intersection–"your life would be ruined." I turned back to April and stepped closer to her. "Your mother gave you the choice to leave him and sever your link with your drug-ridden friends and acquaintances, and return to rehabilitate yourself." April did not notice me move closer to her. A gasp escaped her as I lifted her chin to meet my gaze. My touch sent her trembling even more. "You chose to be with him...By being with him, you had fled your home once again." April shook her head in denial. "Oh, yes," I nodded as my fingers dug into her hallow cheeks and forced her head to nod with me. "The longer you were with Kurt, you realised that he could not support you and your drug habit. You had the choice to finally leave him, but you stayed. You were surrounded by many options to support yourself, and help yourself. You knew that you were capable of working to earn the money you needed for your bills and your packets of drugs. You chose the loan sharks. Then you met Hector." I let go of her face and slid my fingers through the brittle strands of her hair, then cupped her head in my hand. I slowly pulled her closer to me. I could hear her breath shaking as she stood stiff before me. Even the soul could be petrified with fear. I moved my lips closer to her ear. "And what happened next, my dear April?" I could hear her mind.

The memories I recounted put her thoughts in a turmoil. The images from the day of her death flashed in her mind. Tears streamed down her cheeks and I could feel the wet drops touch my arm.

"Now tell me that you are not responsible for your fate." I finally let go of her. My bare feet padded on the cold concrete away from her. "End this, April. Come with me to the Paths and move on," I invited her.

She shook her head vehemently. "No!" She looked at Kurt. "I want my vengeance! I want him to die! I will not rest until you take him!" She ran towards Kurt. Her hands balled into a fist and attempted to hurt him.

"He can not sense you. It is futile."

A shriek escaped her. "Kill him!"

My eyes sharpened on her, causing her to step back and cower behind her crossed arms. "When it is his time."

April shook her head one last time at me in defeat and disappeared like mist blowing in the air.