Chapter 20 (Radish Fiction Version)

Notice to readers:

Hello!

Thank you so much for your ongoing support. As mentioned before, Radish Fiction has exclusivity over this story. Thus, I am unable to do regular updates on this on Wattpad. However, because not everyone has access to the App, I can only upload some chapters a certain number of weeks AFTER it's been unlocked on Radish (I have to check again if it's a month, a month and a half, or more).

In the meantime, Chapters 1 to 30 are currently unlocked and free to read on Radish Fiction. The app is free to download from Google Play, iTunes Store, and the App Store.

Anyway, here's Chapter 20. I hope you like it.

They said when people were faced with experiences that threatened their mortality, their lives change

They said when people were faced with experiences that threatened their mortality, their lives change. Maybe it followed that a person could also experience this kind of change after being on the brink of death...And she did change–quite significantly for that matter. She was a totally different person. Sure, she lost the ugly eyewear. So it turned out that the girl was hiding an insane pair of eyes. Cat never knew that a very vivid shade of purple was even be possible!

She had always acknowledged the fact that Asha Strauss was a pretty girl. She was busy stacking a pile of puzzle magazines when she noticed Asha behind the checkout counter of the Rosedale Supermarket for the very first time. She seemed like a very nice girl. She had a radiant smile, and absolutely beautiful skin! She thought she would be even more stunning without the spectacles. Cat had seen her several times without eyeglasses when she'd quickly wipe off any smudges, and she was right. The girl was a stunner.

The night when she lost those glasses in the water, it was lucky that she was the one who found it. She was actually going to give it back to her straight away since she knew that Asha was almost blind without them–well, at least that was the story she believed. When she was about to call out to her, she saw Lark beelining towards Asha with a towel in his hand. She was standing by the edge of the pool, exposed to the winter air, practically in her underwear. In a different scenario, Cat expected that he'd offer the towel to her. What the hell? Why would he? He didn't even glance her way to notice that there was a half-naked woman standing by the pool, shivering! She quickly jogged towards her clothes. She was surprised how quick the crowd of guys rushed towards her friend's aid. All she could do was smile at the attention Asha was finally getting. It was funny how a fully clothed, drenched woman could draw everyone's attention while the one who showed a lot of skin was completely ignored.

She stared at Asha in the midst of all the commotion. She shook her head in awe. Asha was extremely attractive. The longer she stared at her, the more she realised how extraordinary her beauty was. She was so proud of her friend, but envious at the same time, most especially when Lark was there fussing over her. If Asha was a superhero...heroine...beauty would be her power. She looked at the glasses in her hand. This will be her disguise. She squinted her eyes, and peered through the lenses with the expectation of a distorted vision. She wrinkled her forehead, noticing that she could see clearly through them. She shifted the eyeglasses in front of her, comparing how her eyes focused with and without them. "You have got to be kidding me!" she hissed under her breath. The glasses were fake. Cat clenched her jaw, irritated by the discovery. Asha lied to her! She didn't understand why Asha would go through all that trouble to hide behind a pair of glasses. She folded the glasses back and wrapped her fingers around them. She felt her anger going to her fingers and she tightened her grip on the frames. There was a strong urge to snap them in half but that was all it was–an urge. Her fingers loosened their hold, and allowed them to drop on the pavement. On the ground, they looked like a pair of empty eyes staring up at her. Mocking her. Ha! Fooled ya! they would say. She shook her head disapprovingly. She lifted her foot and carefully pressed her heel on the lens. She could feel the crunching of the lens beneath her feet. The web of cracks sent a pleasurable sense of justice. She lifted her other foot and crushed the other lens–like crushing the head of a serpent, feeling the bones of its skull breaking underneath the ball of her foot.