Chapter 12 (Radish Fiction Version)

No one stayed long enough where Death wandered in solitude...Not even the angels who only came to reclaim what I have taken. If there was another way to the Paths, other than my cold domain, they would avoid having to be in my presence completely. They would swoop down from the dusky skies that seemed to be forever painted by the red tinge of the sunrise and the sunset. Without a word or a glance, they would lift the souls away from the Paths and disappeared through the same portals whence they came. They would return them to their vessels, hoping that their return would be a more enlightened one.

I squinted in wonder upon seeing the crouched being atop a boulder that landmarked the boundary of a void of red and the light of what may be. He looked forward at the endless lights that the Paths brought. Though his back was turned to me, I could tell how his forehead creased in contemplation. I studied him intently. He did not move. Gold and silver danced around his body like delicate wisps of illumination. My lips curved. Even Death can be moved by the spectacular beauty of these beings. The light show of their wings even left me stunned. No, those wings were not made of feathers as how humans portrayed them to be, but delicate streaks of light.

I approached him. I kept a significant gap between us–significant enough to fit a meadow. "Your companions have left," I stated, my voice traveling through the echoes of emptiness. "Do you not dread this place?"

His senses twitched as he caught the sound of my voice. In spite of his curiosity, he did not look back; he knew of what was prohibited as they had been warned of the perils of looking upon Death's eyes. To humans, I had a say to when their time on earth ended, but to the transcendent beings, I was the dagger to their immediate end. He bowed his head, allowing tendrils of golden locks fall forward, acknowledging my presence. "I have chosen to stay." His voice was deep and soothing. "This place? Do you not tire of it?"

For the first time, I felt stiff. An angel stayed long enough to speak to me! Was it an honour? Was it an insult? "What is there to be tired of?" How dare this entity invade my solitude and question my dwelling!

"There is nothing here but lifeless earth and silence."

I smiled. I took pity of his lack of understanding. "This is the realm of Death after all. To you, it is dead, but I assure you, it is not lifeless."

"You are alone."

"No. I am everywhere, and I am in constant company of the dying."

"Does this place not bore you?"

"What boredom do you speak of? Is it because you do not see your companions prancing to the music of your songs? Why? Are you not entertained by the waltzing of the dust that only I can stir? My consciousness is a web. I can hear a million thoughts, touch a million heartbeats, and see my reflection in a million teardrops. Monotony has no room here." For a moment, I enjoyed his silence only for him to speak again.

"But does this place not sadden you?"

I took a deep breath. The incessant questioning was striking a chord in me; I did not like it. "I do not know what this sadness is." My eyes squinted. "If you have no more souls to reclaim, you may take your leave."

He stood up to his full length. He was a majestic sight to behold as he stood on top of the boulder. He seemed like a monument that was carved for worship. The orbs of light that surrounded him moved into formation, ready to lift him up. He took a bow. "Very well. I will let you be. Until we meet again."

I frowned at his farewell. His bid to return did not please me.

Time had not even lapsed a day, and he had returned already. The unfamiliarity with the rituals of hospitality was rather rattling. "You have returned," I drawled with a tone obvious of my displeasure.

He was not bothered by the unwelcoming reception. He crouched himself on top of the boulder once again as if he had already claimed his territory. He was silent and still while I remained fixated on the horizon of nothingness. He knew that despite being still, my eyes did not stare into nothing. He could feel the energy that came and went into the Paths. The chill air was more than just the chill air–t was the power of death.

"The silence here is enticing, I find," he said, interrupting my thoughts once again.

My frown went deeper. "Enticing?" My lips curled into a smile. "Then you have not heard the words of the dead." I shifted my attention to the curves of his lean back. He was not gone long, and I nearly forgot how exquisite his wings were and how it illuminated his flawless skin. I was told that each angel was made with care. Every form and every inch of an angel's skin was caressed by the hands of the most high, brought to life by a kiss, and named with a blessed whisper. I do ponder sometimes if I was made the same. Probably not for I am not an angel. "Why have you come back? Is there a soul that you need to reclaim?"

He shook his head.

"Then why are you here?" my voice hardened as I kept my impatience at bay.

"To keep you company."

My eyes widened at the revelation. "I do not need company."

"I know."

His voice remained calm and warm. "Then why do you think you need to keep me company?" I hissed.

"It is not of need that I come here. I have been sent to be your companion."