Chapter 2 - Change in Plans

Not answering that question, of course. I'll let you guys judge my cover!

~~~~

The next few days weren't as bad as I'd been expecting. The trial wasn't half as exciting since I would only hear the verdict afterwards, and now my family didn't seem so loathe to give me information. Teddy even disclosed that Wren had been moved from St. Mungo's (where she'd been treated for "neglect" or something) though he didn't know where to. I'd actually read most of that in the paper that morning (the story had finally come out), but I didn't tell him that.

James hadn't sent me a letter since the night of the party, and Albus explained that he'd been grounded from sending owls to anyone because he wouldn't shut up about wanting to go to the trial, and begging their dad to change his mind. I'd considered that as an option, but the last thing I needed was to be grounded from my own owl, and I didn't really expect to change my aunt's mind at all. She was as stubborn as I was. Maybe it was a Black thing. I'd appealed to Teddy and Victoire to talk to her, but they'd both agreed with her, much to my dismay. Apparently, going to that trial would give me some sort of incurable disease that would make me a sad, broken, dying person. Why couldn't they see it was the other way around?

I'd been dreaming about Wren every night. I couldn't tell if they were just dreams or not, and something told me it was a combination of normal dreams and what Colette had deemed "Legilimens dreams." Mainly it was just flashes of her in a cell somewhere, or just a dark room, and I didn't know what to think. I honestly couldn't tell if they were real or not, because they were so short and disjointed.

About a week after the party, the Potters' owl arrived during breakfast bearing two letters. It flew past me and alighted next to my aunt, which was a little strange. She took the two letters from its leg and glanced at them, then handed one to me as she opened the other.

"So, Astra, are you excited for this year?" Teddy asked, looking up from the paper for the first time since he'd sat down.

I raised an eyebrow. "Excited? Why?"

Teddy and Victoire exchanged an amused look. "I guess you'll find out..." Toire said mysteriously.

I rolled my eyes at them and opened my letter. From Albus, of course (James hadn't responded like his parents had hoped and was still grounded, apparently). The paper seemed more crumpled than normal.

Dear Astra,

James says it's still a no, and there's no news about you-know-what. Dad's been really busy lately, though. I think he's worried.

Fred and Roxanne came over yesterday. Fred spent the whole time ranting because he's not Quidditch captain this year. Roxanne said she was really happy because if he wasn't captain she'd have a shot at getting on the team.

Right, I almost forgot, Dad and Mum said you could come spend a few days with us! If your aunt says yes, of course. Mum sent her a letter. Lily's having Eviana over, too. If that's too hard for you, of course, we understand, but

The handwriting abruptly changed, and I had a feeling James had taken the paper from his brother. That explained the crumpled paper.

But nothing. Astra, do you know how boring it is with just my siblings here? It's terrible. You'd better come or I won't let you come when I find a way to sneak out to the you-know-what.

Again, the handwriting changed.

James doesn't know what he's talking about. Neither of you are sneaking anywhere, don't listen to him.